G-Drive just steady blinking

User

G-Drive just steady blinking

Postby pauldy » Apr 27th, '14, 21:50

Today I had to reboot my mac os x server and the gdrive didn't show up when it booted. I tried several things including moving it to another mac where I was able to get it to show up after a few tries on FW800. I ran all the usual repair items in disk utility then moved it back to the mac mini where it refused to show up through numerous configurations. I tried fw800, usb, fw800->thunderbolt. Nothing seemed to work. I am finally giving up and out of the blue I hear it grind a bit I look up and there it is on the desktop, so I went ahead and did the firmware update I saw in another thread and it seemed to accept it. I followed the instructions turning it off unplugging it and turning it on. I wasn't sure after that. So I waited about 20 minutes or so and plugged it back in, another 20 minutes or so go by and I go ahead and power cycle it. Now I'm back to it not even showing up on the firewire bus and I give up. I feel the drive is still good in there, but the controller seems to be messed up, looking for suggestions that might bring it back to life.

Re: G-Drive just steady blinking

Postby Dustin F » Apr 28th, '14, 08:47

Hi pauldy,

Thanks for posting. It does sound like the controller for the enclosure is failing, especially if you were getting a slow stead blink while the unit isn't being seen. If the unit is within warranty you can file a RMA here http://prod.g-technology.com/support/warranty_rma.cfm
If you need the data off the drive before sending in for warranty having a tech service open the enclosure will not void the warranty as long as you have an invoice or letter head showing the service was performed. If you feel you can do that yourself call in to the support center at 888.426.5214 to get authorization to open the enclosure yourself.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby pauldy » Apr 28th, '14, 19:26

I'll do that tomorrow it's right at 10 months old, I just got it to come on again tonight so this time I'm not turning it off. Tonight I decided just to turn it off. I left it off for about 3 hours while I worked on some other stuff. I just turned it back on and it came up.

User

Postby pauldy » Apr 29th, '14, 04:19

Tried to copy my stuff off last night and I got through about 700gb of the 3tb before it was apparently disconnected while I was asleep.

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php