G-Raid USB 3 goes to sleep

User

G-Raid USB 3 goes to sleep

Postby sealke » Apr 9th, '14, 05:42

Hi,

my G-Raid 6TB with USB3 and FW800 goes to sleep. I have turned off "put harddisks to sleep" option in the system prefs but the drive still goes to sleep if not used for several minutes. It is connected via USB3 to Mac Book Pro Retina with OSX 10.9.2.
Is there a way to turn off the sleep mode? I'm working with video editing software and i don't want the drive to go to sleep.
Thanks for your help,
sealke

Re: G-Raid USB 3 goes to sleep

Postby Dustin F » Apr 9th, '14, 07:51

Hi sealke,

Thanks for posting. We don't usually see any issue with the usb connection for the drives, however we do sometimes see this issue with firewire, often resetting the SMC and PRAM on the computer will resolve it for firewire, it may resolve it for usb as well. I am providing links on how to perform the reset of each. If the problem persists after that let me know.

SMC reset: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964
PRAM reset: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby sealke » Apr 9th, '14, 08:18

Thanks for your answer Dustin.
I will check these 2 options. But it is strange, we have bought 2 identical drives and have had both connected to 2 different laptops. And both go to sleep on both laptops.
I'll let you know what i find.
sealke

User

Postby macosman » Feb 24th, '15, 19:48

I'm having a similar problem. I've run external drives before and never had one go offline to the point where you had to hit the power button to bring it back online.

Running OS X Server 10.6.8, set to never sleep and definitely never let the drives to sleep.

I've tried using USB and Firewire. I bought to Identical 8TB drives and I've swapped them out completely and still have the same problem.

I can put my other drive back online and it runs fine.

I can't understand why these units are completely powering down. Sleeping would be one thing because then I could restart the server and they will mount back up. I have to physically hit the power butting to get these back online.

Postby Dustin F » Feb 25th, '15, 08:18

Hi macosman,

We did end up developing a firmware fix to address the issue. You can download the firmware from our support page. The download will install the updater to the computers internal hard drive which will require a reboot once the install is done. Once it is rebooted you will find the G-tech firmware update utility in the applications folder. At that point you will want the drive you are updating to be the only external drive attached. While the firmware update does not format the drive in the off chance the update is interrupted it can render the drive unusable so it is recommended to backup and data on the drive that is not already. Here is the link to download the firmware. Select the G-Raid v5 selection.
http://support.g-technology.com/support ... -agreement
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby macosman » Mar 5th, '15, 17:05

Dustin,
Thanks for the quick response. I've downloaded the update and just have a question before installing.

Does it matter what machine the drives are updated from?

Since it's a live file server, can I update the drives on another machine and then just attach them back to the file server? or is there something installed on the boot drive that is required for the drives to work properly after the firmware is updated?

Thank you,
Pete

Postby Dustin F » Mar 6th, '15, 11:31

Hi Pete,

It does not matter what computer. You can use a different computer to apply the firmware update. You could for example install the updater on a macbook pro and run the update from there.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby macosman » Mar 9th, '15, 10:14

Dustin,
Just wanted to let you know I've applied the update and now the drives are staying online.

Thanks!

User

Postby macosman » Mar 14th, '15, 09:04

I spoke to soon. The drives are still powering down. I'm also having a -50 error with Time machine.

Please advise

Postby Dustin F » Mar 16th, '15, 07:35

Pete,

When you say powering down do you mean going idle or do you mean shutting itself off? From the -50 comment I take it you mean going idle. If they are powering completely off you may want to check the power adapter being used. The correct output should be 12v 4a. If you are using a 12v 2a adapter that could be the cause of the drive shutting off. If the power adapter is correct and the drive is simply idle then it could be a compatibility issue with the firewire controller on the drive and the controller in the computer. We sometimes see that on older systems where even the firmware update doesn't resolve it. Since it is being used for time machine it would not be very resource intensive so using on usb should work fine. The other option would be to use a third party program like keep drive spinning which is a free application to send a signal to the drive every so often to prevent it from going idle.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Return to G-RAID

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php