G Drive HDD replacement

User

G Drive HDD replacement

Postby zeefire » Mar 27th, '14, 08:33

My GDrive (S/N W506100208) is out of warranty and it appears the HDD failed, so after speaking with a GTech Support person I purchased a new Seagate barracuda 2 TB SATA HDD and installed it in the drive enclosure. Everything worked fine; Mac recognized the drive, I formatted it for both Mac & PC using the Mac Disk Utility, no issues. Ejected the drive, shut down the computer, next morning the Mac is not seeing the drive and the drive bay's light is flickering rapidly. I connected it to a PC and it did not recognize it either. What could be the issue?

Re: G Drive HDD replacement

Postby Dustin F » Mar 27th, '14, 08:40

Hi zeefire,

Thanks for posting. I take it it is the same on both firewire and usb? Is the drive seen in any management tools such as disk management or device manager on windows, or disk utility or system report on mac?
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby zeefire » Mar 27th, '14, 08:54

Nothing and when I turn on the drive I don't hear or feel the drive spinning up.

Postby Dustin F » Mar 27th, '14, 09:14

zeefire,

It could be that the controller for the enclosure has not gone out as well. There could also be the possibility of a conflict with the drive you installed as they have only been tested with HGST drives. The former seems more likely though.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby zeefire » Mar 27th, '14, 09:30

So I would assume that it's time to trash this GDrive enclosure.

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php