Moving eS Drives to new workstation

User

Moving eS Drives to new workstation

Postby LMP » Aug 25th, '13, 11:57

If I move my G-speed eS drives to a new workstation, will my data stay intact? I've upgraded to a new workstation and want to move the eS arrays, each configured as RAID 5. I purchased a new PCIe controller board from G-tech, but should I use the old one when I move the drives to keep the data?

Re: Moving eS Drives to new workstation

Postby Dustin F » Aug 26th, '13, 13:23

Hi LMP,

Thanks for posting. If you bought both the controller cards from g-tech or high point there should be no problem moving the drives from one computer to another.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby boghav » Mar 26th, '14, 13:25

I have a GSpeed es RAID that I would like to use on my new MacPro late 2013. I have purchased a new HighPoint Rocket Raid controller card: model RocketU 1144E that is TB compatible. The card is connected to a GDrive via eSata and this Drive and Rocket card work fine in the system, however, the GSpeed es is not read as a RAID. How can I overcome this issue?

Postby Dustin F » Mar 27th, '14, 08:33

Hi boghav,

Thanks for posting. I looked up the RocketU 1144E. That card does not have any raid function or port multiplication that is needed to read the g-speed es. While you do need to make sure it supports thunderbolt the card also has to have advanced raid functions and port multiplication. You would want to look at the RocketRAID series.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby boghav » Mar 27th, '14, 08:47

Thanks, but can you suggest a specific card model?

Postby Dustin F » Mar 27th, '14, 09:11

Hi boghav,

I believe the RocketRaid 640L would work. You may want to double check with Highpoint that the driver is thunderbolt aware.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby boghav » Mar 28th, '14, 04:32

Highpoint suggested the 644L (with external esata ports) Have ordered one and will report back. Frankly I'm surprised that G-Tech has not figured this out -with the new Mac desktop units supporting only TB, AND that G-Tech does not yet offer TB RAID enclosures.

User

Postby boghav » Mar 31st, '14, 11:52

The Rocket Raid 644L inside of an OWC Helios PCI enclosure does the trick for using the GSpeed es on a Thunderbolt equipped Mac Pro. The i/o speeds are around 130 Mbps.

Return to G-SPEED eS

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php