4TB Drives sleeping on Mavericks

User

4TB Drives sleeping on Mavericks

Postby JesseHuggett » Mar 25th, '14, 23:09

Hi,

I've looked through the forums and found info relating to my query, but not with the same parameters in each case.

Just a bit of background info: We have 20 iMacs (varying from 2011-2013 Models) all running OS X Mavericks. We're using the drives for video editing using Premiere Pro CC (Version 7.2.1). The drives are connected either directly via firewire, using a firewire to thunderbolt adapter and daisy-chaining through both methods.
"App Nap" is turned off. "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" in the System Prefs is turned off. All drives are formatted HFS+ (Journal)

The issue we face is: If one of the computers is not being used for a few minutes, say over lunch, and we try to use it it's basically become "Read-Only". Trying to change drive permissions has no effect, ignoring ownership has no effect. The only solution we have is to save our projects to a different drive, close Premiere Pro, eject/unmount the drive and then turn it off and on again. When this is done the drive becomes writable again. (This has happened across all Mavericks updates, 10.9-10.9.2)

This issue does not occur every time, but it is not an isolated incident either. It has happened on different Macs using both the same and different drives.

From my research it seems that the firmware update is the solution, however we have nearly 100 G-Drives and purchase at least 6 more monthly. To back up each drive and update the firmware will be extremely time consuming.

My question is 2-fold. Will a firmware update fix this? and Are the drives "green"?

Thanks in advance
Jesse

Re: 4TB Drives sleeping on Mavericks

Postby Dustin F » Mar 26th, '14, 08:03

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for posting. From the sound of the issue the firmware should resolve it. The firmware update does not affect the data itself but we suggest backing up the drive in case the update is somehow interrupted which can cause the unit to be inoperable. The drives do spin down after 10 minutes of being idle, this is a government energy requirement. The issue lies in the signal from the firewire becoming degraded and the firewire controller not responding properly to the weaker signal. The firmware compensates the controller on the generation 5 drives. The newer drives should already have the latest firmware on the drive so new drives should not be an issue.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Re: 4TB Drives sleeping on Mavericks

Postby JesseHuggett » Mar 26th, '14, 22:08

Hi Dustin,

Thanks for the reply. I'll test it with a few of the drives and give feedback.

Regards

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php