How do determine the current firmware version?

User

How do determine the current firmware version?

Postby olgoat52 » Mar 23rd, '14, 10:25

1st time G-Tech owner. I have the 2TB G-Drive USB 3.0/Firewire I run Win7 and have the drive connected via USB 3.0. I am working through various problems at this point. It has not been plug and play like many USB 2.0 drives I have used. This is my first USB 3.0 experience as well.

How do I tell what the firmware version is on the G-Drive? USBDVIEW says Revision 0.05 if that makes any sense.

I am considering updating the firmware but from what I understand that has to be via firewire and I don't have an 800 port (only 400) so I would have to pick up an adapter.

Re: How do determine the current firmware version?

Postby Dustin F » Mar 24th, '14, 09:23

Hi olgoat52,

Thanks for posting. Firmware for the drive only affected the firewire side of the drive, not the usb. The drive itself is plug and play but is pre-formatted for mac. The drive will not be usable until it is reformatted. Here is a guide on how to reformat the drive for windows. http://support.g-technology.com/kbase/u ... php?id=140
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby olgoat52 » Mar 24th, '14, 10:05

Thanks for the reply Dustin. Yes I followed that procedure (a couple of times actually). I want to leave my options open as far as using firewire. The unpredictable nature of the problems I have seen so far might have something to do with the USB 3.0 implementation on the ASUS motherboard.

So is there a way to tell what the firmware level is that is currently running on the drive?

Thanks

Postby Dustin F » Mar 25th, '14, 07:07

olgoat52,

The only way to check the firmware is to run the updater on the firewire connection. As I said before it only affects the firewire connection.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby shiekh » Apr 18th, '14, 10:35

olgoat52 wrote:I am considering updating the firmware but from what I understand that has to be via firewire and I don't have an 800 port (only 400) so I would have to pick up an adapter.

There should be no problem working over Firewire 400 to update the firmware of the Firewire 800 drive (I have done it myself)

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php