Questions about G-RAID with THunderbolt

User

Questions about G-RAID with THunderbolt

Postby Flamel » Mar 4th, '14, 17:48

Hi!
We are currently working on mac & windows environment. We are looking for disks space for data to be handle by the two os. My questions are:

Do you support Xp as windows OS?

With Thunderbolt we can use daisychain feature to have 2 or more devices. Could we also define RAID0+1 or RAID1+0 with 2 x G-RAID devices? (I mean 2 x 2 disks stripped then mirrored or the reverse)?

thanks in advance
Flamel

Re: Questions about G-RAID with THunderbolt

Postby Dustin F » Mar 5th, '14, 09:04

Hi Flamel,

Thanks for posting. Thunderbolt is not supported in XP nor does XP support GPT partition tables which is required for any hard drive larger than 2TB. For cross platform you would need to use exfat however this would only work in a JBOD mode where there is no raid on the drives. Windows RAID information and MAC RAID information does not work across platforms. However programs like MacDrive Pro would allow you to access Mac formatted RAIDs on windows. I have seen where people have created mirrored RAIDs on two G-RAID Thunderbolts and then stripped them together to create a RAID 10. This is not always stable and is not officially supported by us. While that may work on MAC cannot guarantee that it will work using MacDrive Pro.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby Flamel » Mar 5th, '14, 09:41

Hi!
Thank you for your explanations.
So XP is not a candidate for our future environment

Regarding my other question, here are more details
well we have few mac machines. One of them is currently a 2012 mbp (Lion OS) with two internals disks with this layout:

- one partition for disk1:MacOS partition with OS+ specific mac data ,

- two partitions for disk2: XPSP3 (through bootcamp) partition + Common data on an exFat partition
We have also external disks formated with exFAT for common data used by Mac and Windows
it works fine

What we are looking for is a way to add security and performance for our "common data" partitions. So we decide to move them in a a RAID disk subsystem...to have access to mirroring and stripping in a transparent way.
Maybe I'm wrong but I understood your G-RAID product was an Hardware Raid. But now you answer me that you work with software RAID provided by OS ... Is it correct ? Are your product only software RAID based ? no RAID controler card inside ?

Postby Dustin F » Mar 6th, '14, 11:46

Hi Flamel,

The standard G-Raid which uses usb and firewire is a hardware raid, the thunderbolt model is a software raid. The regular model is raid 0 only while the thunderbolt can be configured in 0,1, or JBOD. The thunderbolt model has no raid controller card built in so without additional software to allow one system to read raid data of the other you would not be able to get cross platform raid support.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby spinetrak » Mar 20th, '14, 17:47

So, if the Thunderbolt G-RAID is not a hardware RAID 0, then I guess the information at http://support.g-technology.com/kbase/u ... php?id=162 is incorrect??

In the same vein, is http://support.g-technology.com/kbase/u ... .php?id=75 also incorrect and I can indeed change it to JBOD and make it a boot volume?

Thanks!

Postby Dustin F » Mar 21st, '14, 07:42

Hi spinetrak,

Thanks for posting. The first link you included is for the regular G-Raid not the G-Raid Thunderbolt. I see that you probably clicked from the G-Raid Thunderbolt support page. I will look into having this corrected. As for the boot support. A software RAID cannot be used as a boot device. Technically if you delete the raid you should be able to boot from it but using the drive as such is a Mac OS function that we do not support.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby 0scar1 » Jun 15th, '14, 02:39

I'm also confused...

I bought both a G-RAID 4 TB (2-2TB in RAID-0) with the two Thunderbolt connectors on the back, as well as two of the G-Drive 4 TB (1-4 TB) with the single Thunderbolt connector on the back, all in just the last month.

Looking up specs on your site, it CLEARLY stated that the G-RAID was ONLY formatted in RAID-0, and that cannot be changed.

REALLY need to get that fixed, guys. I totally would have reformatted it as a 2 TB RAID-1...

Thanks.
27" iMac (Late 2013), 1 TB Internal SSB, 32 GB RAM, 4 GB Nvidia 380. External 4 TB G-Raid Thunderbolt, 4 TB G-Drive Thunderbolt, 4 TB G-Drive Thunderbolt.

Postby Dustin F » Jun 16th, '14, 09:33

Hi Oscar,

The g-raid thunderbolt is a software raid that can be configured with disk utility within the mac operating system. The traditional g-raid which has usb and firewire connectors is a hardware raid 0 which cannot be changed. I contacted our web master about correcting this a while ago but will contact him again as it seems it has not yet been resolved for the FAQ
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Return to G-RAID w/ Thunderbolt

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php