G-Drive 4tb USB3.0 Firewire 800

User

G-Drive 4tb USB3.0 Firewire 800

Postby Gez » Mar 9th, '14, 17:33

Hi

Is it possible to adjust the timing on when the drives spin down and not in use ?

Thanks

G

Re: G-Drive 4tb USB3.0 Firewire 800

Postby Dustin F » Mar 10th, '14, 07:34

Hi G,

Thanks for posting. The drive spins down after 10 minutes of inactivity. If you are having issues with the drive over firewire you may want to check that your firmware is up to date. You can find the latest firmware for the drive here. http://support.g-technology.com/support ... -downloads
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby Gez » Mar 11th, '14, 03:28

Hi Dustin

Great thanks, I will have to time them, Is thgis an Issue over firewire ?
Also, how do I check the Firmware ? the 3 drive models are
SKU# AB50211, Model# 0G02539

Thanks

Postby Dustin F » Mar 11th, '14, 07:29

Hi G,

That does appear to be a generation 5 model. Some of the generation 5 models of the g-drive had some issue over firewire after the drive would spin down. The way to check the firmware on the drive is to run the firmware updater. If it is not up to date it will install it, if it is up date it will tell you so. We do recommend backing up the hard drive if not already. While the firmware update does not affect the data itself in the off chance that something occurs that prevents the firmware update from completing such as a tripped cable, power loss, or system freeze. If something like one of those happen while the firmware is updating it can render the unit unusable.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby Gez » Mar 11th, '14, 15:04

Dustin

Whats are the issues that some of these drives have, so that I can keep an eye on ?

The Firmware update sounds risky, would that affect my warranty still be in place if that happened ?

My only real concern is that they take a while to spin down when not in use, apart from that, I don't think i would want to risk having the units unusable.

If I were to run the firmware check, does it give me the option of not installing it ?

Postby Dustin F » Mar 12th, '14, 08:02

G,

The usual symptoms are after the drive has become idle when trying to access the drive again it will be read only and result in a -50 error when trying to copy data to it. The chance of something going wrong with the firmware update it extremely low I have only seen two cases. If that happens it does not void the warranty we can replace it if that happens. The firmware updater either updates it or tells you that it is up to date it does not give you the option once it starts checking the drive. But gives you warnings and advises that the drive must be connected at all times during the update before that. If you are not getting this kind of issue though the drive is probably up to date on firmware. The drive spins down automatically after 10 minutes of inactivity.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php