Pairing 2 G-RAIDs as a Mirrored RAID-1 set

User

Pairing 2 G-RAIDs as a Mirrored RAID-1 set

Postby adamdbrowne » Mar 7th, '14, 08:11

An easy question, and then a hard question:

Even though the G-RAID is RAID-0, if I had two G-RAIDs (daisy-chained) could I set them up in Disk Utility as a Mirrored RAID-1 Set?

AND

I know that a RAID-1 set is an exact duplicate, but I don't know how one actually takes advantage of that. For example, lets say I've had two drives set up as a RAID-1 set for a while, lots of data on it, and then I decide to take one of the drives and throw it into a lake. All of the data should still be on the other drive, but what happens? Does everything just keep going like normal? Do I just get a warning or something telling me to plug in a new drive so it can start mirroring again? Or does the computer just freak out and have no idea what to do?

Many thanks ahead of time for any insight!

Re: Pairing 2 G-RAIDs as a Mirrored RAID-1 set

Postby Dustin F » Mar 7th, '14, 08:23

Hi Adam,

The standard G-Raid is a hardware raid 0. If you set up a software raid 1 (mirrored) between them the computer will see the two as one drive when on and whatever it does to one drive it will do to the other. (i.e. a file add, added to both, a file deleted deleted from both.) If one drive does fail you can select a second disk a initiate a manual rebuild to assign a new drive. Or you can delete the mirrored raid set and the drive would return to a normal stand alone function.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby adamdbrowne » Mar 7th, '14, 08:29

Thanks, that's helpful. So, if I delete the mirrored raid set (something I would do in Disk Utility?) I wouldn't lose the data on it, it just wouldn't be redundant?

Postby Dustin F » Mar 7th, '14, 09:12

Adam,

Correct, you would delete the mirrored raid set in disk utility and then you would still have access to the data on the drive.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby davidwitham » May 2nd, '14, 16:32

Is there a data transfer speed bump that would be obtained by configuring the two G-Raids this way?

Postby Dustin F » May 5th, '14, 08:35

Hi David,

Thanks for posting. Yes there is a small speed reduction to a raid 1 as any operation must be performed by both drives, particularly with external drives as the external connection adds a bit more latency.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby davidwitham » May 5th, '14, 09:03

Dustin,

Thanks for the clarification...I actually thought there would be a speed_increase_...

After nosing around the forum a bit, it seems to me that if you have two g-raids it's probably best to daisy-chain them and use one as a backup for the other with something like Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner because of the lack of a hardware RAID controller.

Am I on the right track with this?

thanks...

Postby Dustin F » May 6th, '14, 07:12

Hi David,

Many people use softwares like Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to help sync up multiple backup drives. Though G-Raids are recommended as editing or project drives rather than backup. Within the g-raid a hardware raid 0 is configured to give the max capacity and increased speed within the unit. If one of the drives fails within it or the controller card gives out you would not be able to access data without data recovery. Although if you really need a large backup drive having two of them with the syncing software as you are thinking would be a good way to go.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby dentdave » Oct 27th, '14, 17:05

My wife has accumulated an enormous amount of family photos and Videos (600gigs). I would like to use the G-drive to get that large iPhoto database off of our iMac. Using the G-drive as the primary working place for all our iPhoto library.
Can I set the G-drive to Raid 1 then I get mirrored drives each holding a identical copy of the iPhoto library. Then remove one drive and place in safe deposit box. While continuing to use the remaining drive as a working copy. Each month I would bring the off-site copy home and let the drives "mirror" each other again.
Will this work?

Postby Dustin F » Oct 28th, '14, 09:37

Hi dentdave,

Thanks for posting. The regular g-raid is a RAID 0 only device, however we have recently released the G-RAID removable which does support raid 1 and you could pick up a third drive to swap out and rotate off site as each drive in it is removable. You can find out more on the drive on its product page. http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-raid-removable
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Return to G-RAID w/ Thunderbolt

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php