G-RAID as RAID1 mirror tip

G-RAID as RAID1 mirror tip

Postby Brandon P » Sep 20th, '12, 14:15

The G-RAID does not support RAID1. It is intended for use as a RAID0 device.

It is built for speed and capacity.

For a RAID1 supported device, see the G-RAIDmini or G-RAID Thunderbolt (handled by software RAID)
Brandon P
G-Technology Technical Support

User

Re: G-RAID as RAID1 mirror tip

Postby djrndm » Jul 12th, '13, 09:11

Brandon P wrote:The G-RAID does not support RAID1. It is intended for use as a RAID0 device.

It is built for speed and capacity.

For a RAID1 supported device, see the G-RAIDmini or G-RAID Thunderbolt (handled by software RAID)

Is it just that it's not the intended use? When using the configurator software, it finds a G-Raid drive and allows you to change the settings to RAID1. Does this mean that even though RAID1 is selected it's not actually mirroring?

Postby Dustin F » Jul 15th, '13, 07:25

Hi djmdm,

Thanks for posting. The G-Raid is not supported in raid 1 because it lacks a drive failure indicator. While in some cases the G-Raid mini configurator will manage to change the G-Raid, however in the raid 1 with out an indicator one of the drives could fail and you would not now it as the computer always sees it as one drive. Officially it is only supported in raid 0
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby HelpMeHelpU » Feb 22nd, '14, 22:05

Though not the most technically sophisticated user out there, I am fairly sophisticated and reasonably smart. But this one is a doozy: How/why is it possible that a "G-Raid" drive is NOT supported as a RAID 1 device? This is the sole reason I bought it. I do not require the extra speed but I do require (want) the redundant capability and this drive DOESN'T HAVE IT! Doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. Nor was I informed about this at the Apple store, where I bought the drive. We even discussed the redundant benefits of a G-Raid device and it was the sole purpose of purchase.

For sure the Apple salesperson should have known. But it also should have said this key fact right on the box, which it did not! The box says "with built-in Raid" but I just understood this to mean that was the default setting, not that that was the ONLY setting.

I surely hope a G-Tech product manager reads this post and I will be shocked if I learn I was the only person who missed this key fact with this product.

Postby Dustin F » Feb 24th, '14, 14:22

Hi HelpMeHelpU,

Thanks for posting. The G-Raid box is listed as Raid 0 Performance. Raid 0 has no redundancy, while if you examine the g-raid mini you will see it lists raid 0 performance and raid 1 redundancy. It does indicate that it is a raid 0 device it lacks a foot note further explaining the raid 0. I will pass the suggestion along about adding a footnote to the box to further explain raid 0.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Return to G-RAID

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php