G-connect app won't play but ipad will

User

G-connect app won't play but ipad will

Postby velapod » May 17th, '12, 21:03

I've got videos on the g-connect in the specified compatible formats which will not play in the g-connect player. If I use goodreader to access the g-connect under AFP and transfer the video to the ipad, the ipad's native player will display the video. If the complexity of variations in codecs and bit rates make it so that some content that should play on the ipad does not, why not give the option to open a file in another application? In fact it's a mystery why we can't open any of the media on the g-connect in other applications.

Re: G-connect app won't play but ipad will

Postby Brandon P » May 18th, '12, 06:54

velapod,

You can use many 3rd party apps to play videos on the G-CONNECT. Just make sure that you set the folder that the data is stored in as a "Shared" folder in the preferences. Either that or move the files into the Public folder on the G-CONNECT. That will make it so other apps can utilize the media on the G-CONNECT.
Brandon P
G-Technology Technical Support

User

Postby velapod » Jun 20th, '12, 00:15

Brandon P wrote:velapod,

Just make sure that you set the folder that the data is stored in as a "Shared" folder in the preferences. Either that or move the files into the Public folder on the G-CONNECT.

I see no option under preferences to to make a folder shared. However, even media in the Public folder isn't accessible by any of the video playing apps I know of. VLC, CinemaX, etc.

It's incredibly frustrating that the g-connect app won't play videos recorded with an iphone4S, and won't let you open them in another app. Other documents can be opened in other apps from within g-connect, but but not videos.

Right now the only way I have of viewing videos on the gconnect is to use an app like goodreader, which can access the g-connect under AFP and then to download the video. It converts a streaming storage device into a hard drive.

Postby Brandon P » Jun 20th, '12, 13:07

velapod,

You shouldn't have an issue playing a iPhone created video on the G-CONNECT through its own app or 3rd party ones, those are very basic supported videos. Anything a stock iPod/iPad can play the G-CONNECT should support.

The preferences to add a folder as a public or "shared" folder is in the Webapp, not within the G-CONNECT app. You open your Safari browser and type in gtech-connect.com and it will allow you to log in to the G-CONNECT and configure the folders.
Brandon P
G-Technology Technical Support

Return to Video Playback Troubleshooting

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php