Is there any way to supply thumbnails?

User

Is there any way to supply thumbnails?

Postby velapod » Apr 28th, '12, 21:56

I've transferred less than 500MB of photos (jpeg) to the g-connect and the thumbnail generation process appears to be taking days. Is there anyway to supply the thumbnails?

Re: Is there any way to supply thumbnails?

Postby Brandon P » Apr 30th, '12, 06:51

Hello velapod,

The thumbnailing process can take some time. It generates 3 thumbnails per file. How large are the images and what extensions are they? for roughly 3000 files at a few KB per it would take around 8 hours max for the image indexing to finish.

How many images are in the 500MB? If they are high res images it can take longer as well.

Are you leaving the G-CONNECT on during the whole process or have you turned the unit off and on?

Sometimes the indexing service could get stuck, you can check its progress in the webapp. If you connect to it over the web browser instead of the G-CONNECT app it will give you thumbnailing info.

If you shut down the device properly, hold power for 3 seconds then let it shut down. Then turn it back on it will resume where it left off in the indexing and could get over the hump if it had frozen.
Brandon P
G-Technology Technical Support

User

Postby velapod » May 17th, '12, 21:07

the files are jpg and range in size from 500kb to 5MB. The problem is the thumbnail generation doesn't appear to be limited to photos. Videos and not recently I've found book covers are also caught up in this process. What's worse I have found that I can't stream a single video without interruption, let alone 3-5, recently. I think it is because I periodically add content to the g0connect and while its indexing or generating thumbnails it can't simultaneously pump out a video stream. So eight hours isn't much if it's only one time but if you'r adding even a few hundred images it means you're g-connect is disabled as a streaming device.

Postby Brandon P » May 18th, '12, 06:42

velapod,

When the device is indexing it will put a performance hit on the streaming capability. How far away are you from the G-CONNECT? Have you attached it to your router/ethernet in order to get its updates? You can also use the device while attached to your router as a NAS for playing your files.

I will bring your case up to our people and get back to you with any new info.
Brandon P
G-Technology Technical Support

Return to Tips & Tricks

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php