G-Drive Mobile w / Thunderbold Ejects Spontaneously

User

G-Drive Mobile w / Thunderbold Ejects Spontaneously

Postby pjhjr » Feb 14th, '14, 04:08

I have a brand new drive and when I plug it in to me new MacBook Pro it will mount, sometimes for up to 5 minutes (and into the process where I can begin to write to it), and it will spontaneously eject itself producing error messages to eject it properly. I have reformatted it, partitioned it, tried usb vs. thunderbolt, and nothing solves my problem. If I leave it plugged in, it will simply cycle its state: mounts, spontaneously ejects, mounts again, etc. (cycle does not seem to have a regular frequency but on average the cycle takes 2-4 minutes).

Can anyone help?

Re: G-Drive Mobile w / Thunderbold Ejects Spontaneously

Postby Dustin F » Feb 14th, '14, 08:38

Hi pjhjr,

Thanks for posting. If you are getting inconsistent mounting on both the usb and thunderbolt connections there may be an issue with the drive's interface controller. Since you have just purchased it I would suggest exchanging it at the point of purchase.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby hs3rd » Mar 17th, '15, 12:54

I've had a difficulty similar to that of pjhjr above. The first drive would produce a message indicating it had been ejected improperly. It would do this after some idleness of varying lengths.

(The spontaneous ejection was maddening, because my iTunes data, too large for the computer, was on the drive. When the drive spontaneously ejected, the link for songs in iTunes on the computer and the files of the songs on the drive would be broken in many instances. I had manually to "find" hundreds of songs on the drive.)

I exchanged the first drive for another, and the replacement drive has been working properly until today. After some lengthy idleness, the drive spontaneously ejected. Fortunately iTunes was not running.

Postby Dustin F » Mar 18th, '15, 07:34

Hi hs3rd,

Thanks for posting. Have you tried on both thunderbolt and usb to see if it is happening on both or just one connection? pjhjr was having issue on both connections which is why I advised him to return the drive. A single connection could simply be a cable issue. You did also say that this exchanged unit has been working fine for a while? Has it only happened once with this unit or is it starting to happen regularly?
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby hs3rd » Mar 19th, '15, 10:52

Dustin,

Thank you for your reply.

My post simplified a couple of things. Since I needed the first drive to house the iTunes data (and other data), I bought another drive that in my post I referred to as the exchanged drive.

On the newly bought drive, I housed the iTunes and other data. (It has spontaneously ejected once only.) Then I returned the first drive and received in exchange a third drive.

I have the USB cable from the third drive and can use it to test your suggestion on the second or bought drive. I shall do this. (I did not keep the USB cable from the first two drives.)

I have not yet mounted the third drive.

Again, thanks for your reply and interest.

Return to G-DRIVE mobile

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php