G-Dock and ev : fan, heat, unmounting concerns

User

G-Dock and ev : fan, heat, unmounting concerns

Postby totnesdave » Jun 23rd, '14, 08:53

Hi there

I just purchased a G-Dock ev Thunderbolt along with my new Mac Pro as main external storage.

I have a couple of concerns which I just wanted to raise here for reassurance.

(1) The G-Dock fan is most times not running at all, but recently started to come on making quite a loud alarming rattling sound as it did so, and has quietened now to a sort of whirring grind - is this likely to be a bad bearing, it doesn’t sound too healthy from experience of these things.

(2) The ev drives are quite hot when I remove them

(3) I unmount the ev drives by dragging off the OS X desktop, and I also installed the G-Dock assistant to activate the safety LED’s etc, however when I remove the ev drives, as I handle them I can feel them still spinning down, and hear them rattling and whirring a little too as I turn them round, like handling is a spinning gyroscope. Is this normal ? It concerns me a bit.

I have contacted support at the reseller of course, specifically concerning item (1), but wondered if (2) and (3) are any cause for concern or just my unfamiliarity with these devices ?

Many thanks !

Dave

Re: G-Dock and ev : fan, heat, unmounting concerns

Postby Dustin F » Jun 24th, '14, 07:13

Hi totnesdave,

Thanks for posting. The fan is not supposed to run constantly, only after the temperature is above a certain point. I concur that the grinding is not a good sign. As for the drives still spinning, they should normally spin down as soon as you eject them and take no more than a couple of seconds to do so. The only cases we have seen where the drives keep spinning after being ejected have been on 10.9 after upgrades. either a major jump like going from 10.6 or 7 to 10.9 or people that have upgraded majorly several times. 10.7,10.8,10.9. We have not seen the issue on a clean install of 10.9. The grinding is a concern, would recommend exchanging that. If the spin down issue occurs on the exchanged unit I would suggest contacting apple.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Re: G-Dock and ev : fan, heat, unmounting concerns

Postby totnesdave » Jun 24th, '14, 13:33

Hi there

Thanks for the reply, I got a return authorisation in on the G-Dock fan so that issue is being sorted hopefully.

As for the lengthy spinning down, it seems to occur on all four of the ev drives, and they also still show this after ejecting when direct connected through USB3.0 quite separately from the G-Dock. Disk spin still seems to be occurring post unmount for some considerable time, 10 seconds or more. If I turn the drive over in my hands it sounds rather like a dentists drilling. (forum won't let me add a sound file). Just concerned about this. I'm new to this storage solution, and a little unsure of what is 'usual' !

I'm on a new Mac Pro with Mavericks 10.9.3 but I did use migration assistant to transfer documents, settings and applications. Interesting that it may be OS related ?

Thanks again !

Dave

Return to G-DOCK and G-DRIVE ev

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php