EV drive and RAID 1

User

EV drive and RAID 1

Postby mjsanders5uk » May 18th, '14, 01:37

If I use the EV with two modules stripped as Raid 1 (Mirrored - apologies if I wrong and its actually 0 thats mirrored) and have say my photo library on there.

If I take a module out and use it stand alone, when I put it back in will the mirror rebuild itself?

So basically the plan would be photo library on a mirrored set. take 1 drive away on location and do some work on it. come back home, pop drive back in docking station and the new data is copied to the other drive.

Be fab if that worked.

Re: EV drive and RAID 1

Postby Dustin F » May 19th, '14, 08:00

Hi mjsanders5uk,

Thanks for posting. For clarity, mirrored is raid 1 (redundant), stripped is raid 0 (performance). Yes if you take on of the the mirrored drives out and use it stand alone when you return it to the dock with the other mirrored drive the raid will rebuild. Keep in mind the g-dock has the top slot as the master, so when you reinsert the drive whatever is on the top drive will copy to the bottom. So make sure that the drive that you have made the changes to is in the top slot of the dock.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby davebrewer » Apr 9th, '15, 08:48

I am testing the procedure above by changing data on the master drive off site and inserting the modified drive slice in the Raid 1 in the top slot - I am getting yellow indicators and updates from the utility that the Raid 1 is degraded - but there is no status or ability to determine if it is repairing and if so how long that will take?

When I look at disk utility on my Macbook Pro it says Raid Set Degraded and the bottom slice is listed as Failed

Is this correct? Is the Raid repairing?

Thanks Dave

Postby Dustin F » Apr 10th, '15, 09:37

Hi Dave,

That is normal. Since one drive was used independently the two are out of sync and the drive with fewer files shows as failed. You will need to press the rebuild button in the raid menu with both drives are in the unit to start syncing the bottom drive to the top. This will take several hours. What some people prefer to do rather than the raid set is use a syncing software such as chronosync which will only update new or modified files between drives which reduces down time.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby K9 Spike » Apr 15th, '15, 12:11

What drive can I remove and use it with the USB 3.0 to my MacBook pro ànd If a have don plug it again in the G-Dock. The up drive or the down drive ?

Postby Dustin F » Apr 16th, '15, 08:20

Hi K9 Spike,

In the G-Dock the top drive is considered the master. If you have it in a raid 1 the top drive is the one you will want to remove for field use then when returning you can start the rebuild to duplicate the contents to the bottom drive.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Return to G-DOCK and G-DRIVE ev

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php