My hotspot does not work

User

My hotspot does not work

Postby TomF » Jun 7th, '14, 12:17

My G-CONNECT device (Software 1.0.5 and Firmware 2.7 (2.0.0.276)) seems to work properly except for the Hotspot feature: even with an Ethernet cable connected to my LAN, devices connected via WiFi to the G-CONNECT do not have access to the Internet. I've tried a wifi netbook (Windows 7 says "No Internet Access"), an iPhone and an iPad (Network error--Failed to connect). No worky.

The port is fine i.e. it's connected to the LAN and getting a DHCP address from my router--I can access its web app "Welcome to G-CONNECT" over my LAN from any hardwired computer (my LAN is 192.168.1.xxx).

Note that if I click on the Web Application's Check Now button (in Updates) on my W7 Netbook, I get a "The G-CONNECT is up to date with the latest software" which implies to me that at least the 172.16.0.1 web app can connect. But no other devices or programs seem to be able to get thru the G-CONNECT and out the Ethernet cable???

I did BTW also try bypassing my router and connecting the G-CONNECT directly to my web modem, but this did not work either.

Any help?

Re: My hotspot does not work

Postby Dustin F » Jun 9th, '14, 07:40

Hi Tom,

Thanks for posting. To confirm, you have gone through the initial setup of the g-connect giving the wireless network a password and not just trying to use as a hotspot straight out of the box, correct?
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby TomF » Jun 9th, '14, 12:25

Yes I had gone thru setup and spent several hours (trying to) familiarize myself with the unit, and the only thing I'd not gotten to work was this Hotspot capability.

Naturally, RIGHT AFTER I composed that message it started working for me! I don't know what I had done to get it to start working, but one thing was I had tested the Gigabit capability for the ethernet port, by turning-off WiFi with the button, then observing on my D-Link switch that the port was indeed running at GB speed. Then I restored WiFi and it started working.

Now two days later, I fired-up the G-CONNECT device, and although my W7 netbook's CONNECTED status showed "Internet Access", I was unable to surf anything. On a hunch, I pressed the WiFi button on the side of the G-CONNECT device to turn WiFi Off and then I turned it back On again, and it started working.

I doubt that this is proper behavior--that it should always require cycling WiFi Off and On with the button--but it seems that is what I have to do to get my G-CONNECT to get the hotspot functionality to work on power-up.

Postby Dustin F » Jun 10th, '14, 07:49

Hi Tom,

That is unusual. You may want to check for firmware updates, that should hopefully resolve the issue. You can do this through the web interface.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby TomF » Jun 11th, '14, 14:34

Dustin I cited my firmware in Post #1--is what I have the latest software and firmware? Is there any place on your website where we can see/find what the current latest software/firmware is?

Since there appears to be only one way to get the firmware, and that is to power-up with Ethernet connected (CAT5 cable) and then to leave the G-CONNECT alone for a while, this is something that many users will rarely do, and some not at all.

Unless you help us to know what it should be at.

Postby Dustin F » Jun 12th, '14, 08:20

Tom,

I do not have the listing of the latest firmware for the G-Connect as it usually will download and apply the latest firmware itself. You can manually check for newer firmware within the web interface of the g-connect, it will need an ethernet connection while this is done. There is also a way to download and apply the latest firmware even if you have the latest to ensure the firmware is applied correctly to the unit. This way will also do a factory reset of the unit.

With the unit off connect an ethernet cable then power on.

Once the status light turns on press and hold the wifi button and watch the lights on the ethernet port

After about 10 seconds the lights will turn off, keep holding the wifi button until they turn back on.

When lights are back on release the button, the status and wifi lights on the front of the unit will alternate back and forth. This process will take around 15 minutes. Wait for the status light to become solid then you can proceed to setup the g-connect once again.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby TomF » Jun 13th, '14, 12:46

Dustin F wrote:I do not have the listing of the latest firmware for the G-Connect...

Well that is very odd but I guess since it's an inactive product it's to be expected. Thanks for the factory reset procedure--I may convert my G-CONNECT devices to HFS+ which I is possible by connecting as a USB device, re-formatting the hard drive, and then going thru the procedure you cite.

For the record I got a 2nd G-CONNECT device today, and out-of-the-box the versioning is very different from the latest:

Out-of-box (old):
Software version: 0.8.0
API version: 1.1.7
Indexer version: 1.1.9
Linux version: 2.5.2
Kernel version: 2.6.31.8
Flash version: 11.1.102

I guess someone decided the above was TMI because after updating my new box it is simply as I described in my Post #1 now; none of the innards are revealed. Regardless unlike with the 1st unit, where I couldn't quite follow what had gone-on, with this 2nd unit I deliberately did not connect to Ethernet until looking at the version info. Then I shut-down, restarted in Ethernet mode, and watched the Status light kerblinken for a few minutes and after it settled-down sure enough it had updated itself as my Post #1.

Return to General Discussion

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php