Recommended setup for 2 part./drives on the G|RAID Studio?

User

Recommended setup for 2 part./drives on the G|RAID Studio?

Postby seabass » May 16th, '14, 11:03

Hey!

I'm looking into buying the new G|RAID Studio 6TB drive.
My need is one drive/partition for Logic projects and video files and one drive/partition for audio samples.
The project files are obviously not very heavy and the video files max 1080p.
The sample drive contains thousands of small audio files that I want to be loaded as fast as possible into ram.

I'd like to have either:
1. RAID 0 with two partitions (is it possible?)
2. JBOD with two drives showing up

What would you recommend? My friend told me that since the sample files are so small the seeking time is much more crucial than loading them fast because there are a lot of them. Is there a difference in seeking time in RAID 0 and JBOD? He meant that the loading time would be almost the same for RAID and JBOD and emphasized the fact that the risk of drive failure is 50% compared to RAID 0 so he didn't see the purpose of raid for my needs.

Thanks for your thoughts on this!

Best,
S

Re: Recommended setup for 2 part./drives on the G|RAID Studi

Postby Dustin F » May 19th, '14, 07:45

Hi seabass,

Thanks for posting. While seek time is increased for large files on a raid 0 small files have on benefit from it. It is not suggested to create multiple partitions on a raid 0 as this can cause logical issues which sometimes lead to corruption. If you must have separate drives for audio and video JBOD would be a better course of action.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby seabass » May 19th, '14, 08:12

Ok, so the seek time is actually better on RAID 0. That's cool.
Two more questions.

In JBOD, is it possible to have the two disks show up individually (and even possible to hotswap them?), like if I had two external harddrives connected or is JBOD only one big drive built of several disks?

And my second question is regarding partitions. Is there any performance benefits of having partitions or is it just for organizing files? Will it be better speed because it's writing related files on each side of the disk or something?

Thanks!

Postby Dustin F » May 20th, '14, 07:17

seabass,

With JBOD each drive will mount individually on the computer. Seeing multiple drives as a single disk is a RAID. Partitioning is only used for organization or for programs that can only search at a drive level. There is no performance boost to having multiple partitions on a drive.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Return to General Discussion

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php