G-RAID vs. G-RAID Studio?

User

G-RAID vs. G-RAID Studio?

Postby seabass » May 1st, '14, 11:31

Hi!

Is there a big difference in performance between these two thunderbolt drives?
How is the noise level on them?

I'm looking for a quiet 8 TB drive.

Thanks for tips!
Last edited by seabass on May 16th, '14, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.

Re: G-RAID vs. G-RADI Studio?

Postby Dustin F » May 2nd, '14, 07:11

Hi seabass,

Thanks for posting. The G-Raid Studio is a thunderbolt unit with options for RAID 0, 1, or JBOD and has removable drives. The G-Raid has usb 3 and firewire, and is RAID 0 only; the drives are not removable. Both have fans but a relatively quiet. The fans only run when the drives are over a certain temperature.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby seabass » May 2nd, '14, 07:32

Thanks for answering. I meant the G|RAID thunderbolt.

Which drives are in the different versions? Seagate?
Since they are removable for the studio version, can I put in whatever drives I want, no matter brand and storage size? Can I even buy it without any drives?

And my final question, when is the Studio out in stores? I can't find it anywhere.

Thank you!

Postby Dustin F » May 5th, '14, 08:31

Hi seabass,

All G-Technology drives use HGST drives internally. Now that I know you meant the thunderbolt version I will clarify the differences. The g-raid tb is a software raid with non removable drives and a thunderbolt 1 connection. The g-raid studio is a hardware raid with removable drives and a thunderbolt 2 connection. Theoretically you can put other brands of drives into the g-raid studio but the unit has only been tested with HGST drives and so cannot guarantee how well they would work. If you do end up changing the drives out we do not recommend mixing drive models or brands. Drives should be matching models. The unit only comes with drives in it, we do not sell it as a bare enclosure. The Studio line will be available in the coming weeks.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby seabass » May 5th, '14, 14:55

Thank you!

One last question just out of curiosity. What's the actual difference between G|Drive tb and G|Drive Pro tb.
The 4TB version is more than twice as expensive for PRO and it's not even RAID right? How come a single drive like that can be so fast?

Thanks

Postby Dustin F » May 6th, '14, 07:22

seabass,

The G-Drive Pro uses proprietary RAID technology and contains 4 drives within it. It is also a thunderbolt only connection with two thunderbolt ports allowing for daisychain. The G-Drive Thunderbolt is a single drive and has one thunderbolt port and one usb 3.0 port.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Return to General Discussion

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php