Storing files greater than 4GB

Administrator

Storing files greater than 4GB

Postby Adrian C » Mar 28th, '12, 18:28

The G-CONNECT is sold preformatted in FAT32 for cross platform use.

Because it is in FAT32, you will find that the maximum single file you can store on the device is 4GB. If you need to store a movie that is greater than this size, then you will need to consider reformatting the device into either a Windows (NTFS) or Mac (HFS+) native format.

This will only work though, if you are going to use the G-CONNECT with either a Windows machine OR a Mac machine. Once you have reformatted into a native format, you will not have cross platform use.

Adrian C
G-Technology Support Center

User

Re: Storing files greater than 4GB

Postby CamGuy » Mar 13th, '13, 12:43

So just to be clear, I can reformat the G-Connect device using the Mac format (HFS+ ?) and I will not have any issues in using/reading files from it on an iPad via the G-Connect software? This is key as I've been struggling with an 18gig 720p movie that I would like to have iPad access to. Please confirm. Thanks in advance.

Postby Dustin F » Mar 14th, '13, 07:39

Hi CamGuy,

Thanks for posting. If you wish to have a larger file size capacity you can try reformatting into exfat, which will still be cross platform and give you the higher capacity capability. Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby CamGuy » Mar 16th, '13, 17:41

Thank you for the information but I'm hoping you can help further. After formatting the G-Connect in exFat using a MacBook Pro, I get a red status light on the G-Connect. The file systems looks to be alright as I have no problems transferring files to and fro the MacBook via the USB connection. After I connect wirelessly to the G-Connect (iPad) using the G-Connect app, I get a File System Not Available error. In formatting the drive did I wipe something out? I did try to initialize the device but that didn't seem to work. Remember all was working fine before, I just wanted to load files larger than 4GB to it. Any suggestions at this point is appreciated. Thanks....

User

Postby slur » Mar 27th, '13, 22:52

The new newbie - I am a Mac user, however I do not know how to "Reformat" the G-Connect to HFS+ so that I can transfer larger movie files? Can you provide me some more info?

Thanks in advance.

Postby Dustin F » Mar 28th, '13, 10:05

Hi slur,

Thanks for posting. Here is a link with instructions on how to format a drive into HFS+. http://www.g-technology.com/kbase/users ... gory_id=22. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby dulich » Feb 18th, '14, 16:20

Are there any potential issues with reformatting as NTFS ?

Thanks in advance,
dulich

Postby Dustin F » Feb 19th, '14, 09:10

Hi dulich,

Thanks for posting. While formatting into NTFS would allow you to copy larger files mobile devices like ipads and android devices have trouble reading from it, as well as indexing and some other features don't work properly.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby dulich » Feb 19th, '14, 10:11

I found out the hard way .. NTFS breaks all indexing so had to go HFS+ . Will try if I can read/write drive on Windows PC as I have both and need PC access as well.

FAT32 works for dual-access but the file size limit is a major setback .

Thanks,
dulich

User

Postby dulich » Mar 6th, '14, 19:47

CamGuy wrote:Thank you for the information but I'm hoping you can help further. After formatting the G-Connect in exFat using a MacBook Pro, I get a red status light on the G-Connect. The file systems looks to be alright as I have no problems transferring files to and fro the MacBook via the USB connection. After I connect wirelessly to the G-Connect (iPad) using the G-Connect app, I get a File System Not Available error. In formatting the drive did I wipe something out? I did try to initialize the device but that didn't seem to work. Remember all was working fine before, I just wanted to load files larger than 4GB to it. Any suggestions at this point is appreciated. Thanks....

So after trying formatting as NTFS and exFAT both formats renders Web access inoperable and lights up the "red status light" exatcly as CamGuy describes. USB access still works fine but it would be a shame to reduce the G-connect down to a mere USB drive.

It has been a year since CamGuy's post. Are there any plans to support either NTFS or exFAT and still be Web accessible?

Thanks,
dulich

Next

Return to General Troubleshooting

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php