G Drive not showing up on my desktop or in disk utility

User

G Drive not showing up on my desktop or in disk utility

Postby ddwyatt5 » Jul 21st, '14, 17:45

Hi, I recently received a replacement G Drive under warranty. This drive is my time machine backup. The first time I connected it to my new iMac desktop, everything seemed to be great and a back-up was performed. Since then, however, whenever I try connecting the G Drive, I get a pop up message saying that the disk was not ejected properly. I did properly eject the drive when I was able to, but ever since the first time it was connected, the new G Drive has not shown up on my desktop or in Disk Utilitiy when I try connecting it.

When I try connecting the G Drive to my older iMac, it shows up on the desktop, but continues to say it was not ejected properly even when I do eject it properly from that computer.

I have an older G Drive that I use to back up my photos. It continues to appear on the desktop and seems to have no issues.

My new iMac is a late 2013 27" model (purchased Dec. 24, 2013) running Mavericks - OS X 10.9.4 I am connecting the drive via USB port.

I would really appreciate some help, if anyone has any idea why this G Drive is not showing up on my new iMac.

Thanks!

Re: G Drive not showing up on my desktop or in disk utility

Postby Dustin F » Jul 22nd, '14, 07:07

Hi ddwyatt5,

Thanks for posting. Have you tried an alternate usb cable to see if you get the same result. When you change computers are you using the same power adapter or a different adapter?
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby drblank » Oct 26th, '14, 09:20

is the drive you are using have an external power supply? If not, get one. I typically find that USB powered drives have a lot more issues with mounting and unmounting due to them not getting adequate power from the USB port (especially if there are other USB powered devices on the same bus). The USB cable could also be the problem as well.

If you find the solution to your problem, please let us know.

User

Postby aloha » Nov 23rd, '14, 17:40

Dustin or whomever is listening...I have had the same exact issue as the person here reported. I use my 500GB High Speed G-Combo Drive as backup for my Time Machine and suddenly the past several weeks it says "drive not ejected properly" and I can no longer see it on my desktop nor can I find it anywhere and when I try to back up it says "drive not available". This is bewildering as I use this as my primary backup for my entire computer. It has a Firewire400/USB 2.0 Ports and I bought it in 2008. PLEASE ADVISE ASAP as my entire business and life are on this drive. THANKS!

Postby Dustin F » Nov 24th, '14, 08:32

Hi aloha,

If it is critical I suggest contacting the support center at 888-426-5214. The call center is open 8AM-5PM PST Mon-Fri.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Return to General Troubleshooting

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php