Web Application & thumbnails

User

Web Application & thumbnails

Postby MikeyFresh » Apr 21st, '12, 22:02

Has anyone had trouble playing back music files through the web application? I hit the Play button and nothing happens. I also can't get any thumbnail images of the album art work to appear, even though the app automatically went into two different lengthy thumbnail processes on Admin logins. I also cant see the thumbnails in the iPad app, though the files will play there. These are Apple Lossless (ALAC) music files with all metadata and the artwork embedded.

Re: Web Application & thumbnails

Postby Brandon P » Apr 25th, '12, 07:04

MikeyFresh,

When it comes to your ALAC files you shouldn't have any playback issues on the app but trying to playback an Apple Lossless file through the web app it will not work. This is due to the ALAC codec not being a web content supported file. The most common web supported audio is AAC, MP3, WAV, WMA.
Brandon P
G-Technology Technical Support

User

Postby MikeyFresh » Apr 28th, '12, 11:02

Hi Brandon,
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate G-Tech's ongoing support and really hope for all of the glitches to be fixed. I have two other G-Tech external HDDs, and I really like them, G-tech makes great products. That said, and with all due respect, your answer is wholly incorrect and short of addressing all of the questions posed. Since my original post I've had a week or more to experiment. My original post was made in hopes you could point me in the right direction or provide honest feedback on functions not currently working, but perhaps supported in a future release, that would have saved me some time.

The web application most certainly does support ALAC file types. This is proven by the fact that if I go in under the iPad's own Safari browser (as opposed to on my home computer), the Music files are displayed, with track titles, and are playable. The only shortcoming there, is no thumbnail album art. In fact in that respect the web application is one step ahead of the iPad App, which will only display the track titles in the list view, if you switch to the thumbnail view the track titles disappear, though the files are still playable. In neither case is album art visible, which is the part of my original post you did not address at all. The web application did the same lengthy thumbnail process (indicated by a grey text box) but at completion, still no album art visible, just thumbnails with a music note icon.

So I'm left to think my home computer must have a firewall or other security issue that is causing the web application to not play the files, either through Firefox or Safari. I will further investigate that and post my findings in case others have the same problem. But the iPad's Safari browser does allow for ALAC file playback.

Still more interesting is when I connect my Sony PS 3 console to the G-Connect. I knew ahead of time that the PS 3 will not support playback of ALAC files, however I wanted to see if it would even connect and display the files even though it won't play them. Not only does it connect, and display the music files resident on the G-Connect, it also displays the album art too, though again it won't play the files and that is not a surprise.

So back to my original question, when will album art thumbnails be supported, and why do you think a Sony PS 3 can display the album art but neither the iPad app, nor the web app can? Lastly, why did you think ALAC files were not supported at all, when your own advertising states that all file types supported by the iPad are also supported by the G-Connect? Additionally, what do you think is so different about connecting via the iPad app that would make ALAC files playable, vs. not playable via the web application? ALAC files are fully supported by Apple Airplay, which is not too dissimilar to streaming them wirelessly via the G-Connect, no?

Postby Brandon P » Apr 30th, '12, 07:03

MikeyFresh,

The reason ALAC plays on the iPad through Safari browser is because the fact you are playing it on the iPad. The iPad itself will play the ALAC files. If you have a system that does not have iTunes installed, whether it be a Mac or Windows system then ALAC does not have default playback support. iTunes and iTunes based devices like an iPod and iPad have support in their browsers for ALAC playback. The G-CONNECT does not control this, the device the G-CONNECT is attached to does.

We will look be looking into the support functions and usability on the software side and let you know as soon as possible if we have any info to help with your usage.
Brandon P

User

Postby MikeyFresh » May 1st, '12, 08:19

Brandon,
So the Safari browser in iOS (on the iPad) has ALAC file type support, but the Safari browser on my Mac mini computer does not? That seems far fetched, I wonder if you can confirm why that is, it makes no sense to me. I can understand if the Firefox browser does not support ALAC, but Apple's own Safari browser should, and yes I do have iTunes installed on that computer. The iTunes program on that computer sees the G-Connect as a shared device with the activation of Home Sharing. So the computer has no trouble connecting to the G-Connect that way, but it fails to play the files via the browser.

User

Postby MikeyFresh » Aug 12th, '12, 09:40

No reply since May 1st?

Postby Brandon P » Aug 15th, '12, 14:05

MikeyFresh,

You are posting in most of the sections and repeating a lot of the same material so I am having our engineers a look at your posts to see what we can do to help your case. The indexing and thumbnailing, the metadata storing art and question about playback.
Brandon P

User

Postby MikeyFresh » Oct 8th, '12, 09:54

No reply since August 15th to a topic that has had no meaningful reply since May 1st?

User

Postby MikeyFresh » Nov 17th, '12, 15:06

Another month + goes by with no support or response of any kind, great work guys, you show how much you really value your customers.
Also evident that no top exec at G-Tech even bothers to read/sample these forums or get any updates on what people are saying, or what resources may be needed to address known problems.

Administrator

Postby Adrian C » Nov 19th, '12, 12:15

Hi MikeyFresh,

I have just sent you a Private Message, if you could reply to that I would be grateful.

Thank you

Adrian C
G-Technology Support

Return to General Troubleshooting

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php