G-Tech not appearing on desktop of Finder

User

G-Tech not appearing on desktop of Finder

Postby Poromies » Dec 6th, '13, 00:21

I installed an 8-Tb Thunderbolt drive and reconfigured as RAID 1. I then transferred my media files to the new external drive to make space on my iMac hard drive.
Everything worked perfectly and I could read all my media files from their new locations on the respective applications.
I shut down my iMac for 15 hours and restarted it this morning. I left the G Tech switched on. On restarting My G-Tech drive no longer appears on the Desktop or in Finder. When I open applications such as Aperture or iMovie they cannot find the "library" and cannot locate them by searching.
However, my G-Tech and its two RAID Slices appear in Disk Utility and are verified as OK. I can also select "Open G-Tech in Finder" from Disc Utility and access individual files. G-Tech does not appear in Finder when I try to "Reveal in Finder".
If I open "About this Mac", G-Tech is shown.
So, the drive is clearly working and the data is present, but is not visible by normal means to my applications.

I have daisy-chained a 3Tb "Time Machine" through the G-Tech and the time machine is working and fully visible.

How do I make it visible in Finder and available for access by the applications that need the data stored on it?
I should appreciate a quick response as I need to work on the material now stored on the G-Tech drive.

Re: G-Tech not appearing on desktop of Finder

Postby Dustin F » Dec 6th, '13, 08:14

Hi Poromies,

Have you yet tried power cycling the drive (i.e. turning it off and on). Leaving the drive on while the computer is off may have caused part of the signal to not push through properly. Also in disk utility did it list the raid partition as mounted or unmounted?
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Re: G-Tech not appearing on desktop of Finder

Postby Poromies » Dec 8th, '13, 00:42

Thanks Dustin.
Problem solved.
Before receiving your reply I had already shut down the iMac and all external drives. On restart everything worked normally.
This was an unnecessary panic on my part, but I was just worried that after transferring my priceless media to a new drive I could not access it! I wondered if I had done something wrong when reconfiguring the drive to RAID1. It would be good if more comprehensive instructions on changing RAID were supplied with the drive instead of the Quick Start.
Anyway, everything is now working perfectly with great transfer speeds. I also appreciate being able to daisy chain my second Time Machine through the G-Technology drive.

Return to G-RAID w/ Thunderbolt

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php