One drive of 2 is failing

User

One drive of 2 is failing

Postby bvandessel » Sep 25th, '13, 05:45

Before: We disconnected our G/RAID drive (with striped set RAID config) while our Mac was in sleep mode.

When we tried to mount again when our Mac was coming up, the Mac did not found the drive anymore.

Disk Utility from Apple says: Drives are working normally. Partition tables are ok of both drives.

One disk of two is ok, the second disk has status 'failed'.

The drive has worked well till now. We did not hear malfunctioning HD sounds. We still hope we can fix it by running a more intensive disk utility?

The drive is 6 months old ...

Thanks for your help!!

Ben
business owner

Re: One drive of 2 is failing

Postby Dustin F » Sep 25th, '13, 08:16

Hi Ben,

Thanks for posting. First of all, yo never want to disconnect a drive while it is in sleep mode. This may have been the cause of the raid data becoming corrupt. If you have the data backed up you can try deleting the raid set and recreating it. If you do not have it backed up you should try a data recovery software to recover the files before recreating the raid set. You can try demos of data rescue 3 or r-studio to see if they can access the data before purchasing.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby bvandessel » Sep 25th, '13, 09:37

Sorry Dustin,

I forgot to ask. What kind of RAID is implemented with a G/RAID thunderbolt? Hardware or by software.

I found besides Data Rescue 3 another keen solution: Company "Get Data" and the software is "Recover my files". The first question is : hard- or software RAID.

Thanks,
Ben

Postby Dustin F » Sep 26th, '13, 07:23

Hi Ben,

It uses a software raid. That is why you are able to manage it using disk utility. Hardware raids require a proprietary software or other separate interface and would be seen as only one drive by disk utility. Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Return to G-RAID w/ Thunderbolt

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php