RAID 10 with 2x8TB G-RAID T/Bolt on iMac - HELP

User

RAID 10 with 2x8TB G-RAID T/Bolt on iMac - HELP

Postby MAF » Jul 18th, '13, 13:30

I've been trying to figure out how to setup 2 8TB T/Bolt G-Raid Units to act as a RAID 10.... Just can't figure it out.

Tried the Genius Bar at my local Apple store... Monumental waste of 2 hrs!

I know there has to be a way to do this but not being an IT guy I'm having a tough time figuring this out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Marc
www.marcadrianfoto.com

Re: RAID 10 with 2x8TB G-RAID T/Bolt on iMac - HELP

Postby Dustin F » Jul 22nd, '13, 08:20

Hi Marc,

Thanks for posting. As the G-Raid Thunderbolt uses a software raid to set it into raid 0 or 1 it cannot place another raid on top of the existing one. If both are set into a raid 0 and you want to duplicate the data from one to the other you can look into a third party software to sync the drives. Two popular solutions for this are Super Duper and Carbon Copy Cloner.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby ChrisC » Nov 23rd, '13, 13:22

Hi Dustin,

Along the same lines, can you take 2x8TB enclosures and raid 0 both of them to one partition for double the speed over TB?

Hopefully I'm explaining my self clearly. I guess what I'm asking is, theoretically can you double your I/O speed each time you buy a new G-raid?

Postby Dustin F » Nov 25th, '13, 11:51

Hi ChrisC,

Thanks for posting. Yes you can set a raid 0 across multiple g-raid thunderbolt drives, however this does present an additional risk. You would want to turn the drives on before turning on the computer. If one of the drives spins up before the others this can put the drives out of sync and corrupt the raid. As there is no redundancy in raid 0 if you had no backup this would make it difficult to recover the data.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Return to G-RAID w/ Thunderbolt

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php