G-Raid with Thunderbolt 4TB. Raid 0 or 1

User

G-Raid with Thunderbolt 4TB. Raid 0 or 1

Postby design » May 3rd, '13, 08:56

I have a MacBook Pro and purchased a G-Raid with Thunderbolt 4TB. The manual says its default setting is Raid 0. But when I uses disk utiliy I'm seeing the following on left side of Disk Utility

2 TB Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 Media
RAID Slice for “G-RAID with Thunderbolt”

2 TB Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 Media
RAID Slice for “G-RAID with Thunderbolt”

4 TB RAID Slice for “G-RAID with Thunderbolt”
G-RAID With Thunderbolt

diskUtility1.jpg

Confusing, this is my first RAID. Is this drive already setup for RAID 1, which as I understand 2TB will always used and will be duplicated on the second 2 TB?

I attached a disk utility sceen grab to show you what I see. I want to use this drive for Premiere Video Scratch Disk.

Thanks

Re: G-Raid with Thunderbolt 4TB. Raid 0 or 1

Postby Dustin F » May 6th, '13, 09:07

Hi design,

Thanks for posting. The G-RAID Thunderbolt comes in RAID 0 out of the box. The 4TB listing you see is the software RAID while the 2TB listings are the physical drives. To set it in RAID 1 you would first select the 4TB listing then click the raid tab in the panel. There you will see the 4TB striped RAID listing. Click that once to select it then click the minus at the bottom of the panel to remove the raid set. (keep in mind this will erase any data on the drive if you have started using it.) You then click one of the 2TB listings and click the RAID tab once more. Drag each of the 2TB listings from the left panel into the RAID box. Select mirrored as the raid mode, along with the desired format and a name for the RAID.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby design » May 6th, '13, 12:40

Thanks for the quick reply Dustin.

I have another question. Being new to a RAID drive what would give me optimal speed Rendering Premiere CS6 video with the following setup using the G-RAID 4TB drive?

I'll be rendering using the G-RAID 4TB as a scratch disk for AUDIO, IMAGES and additional VIDEO for my Preimere Projects. The main Preimere project file would be on my MacBookPro Harddrive.

Is it better to leave the RAID Drive set to RAID 0 for optimal speed?

Thanks

Postby Dustin F » May 7th, '13, 07:27

Hi Design,

Yes RAID 0 will give you the better performance. The two drives working together as one drive gives better read and write speeds which thunderbolt can take full advantage of.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby design » May 7th, '13, 07:58

Dustin thank you for your help.

User

Postby xmatic » Aug 28th, '13, 07:10

Greetings

I have a similar, follow up question. I'd like to configure as Raid 1 using the provided instructions, but the 4TB - G-RAID appears to be locked (closed like icon to the right of the name on the raid tab). I unlocked the drive in the disk info, but the G-RAID is still locked in disk utilities.

Thanks for any tips!
Chris

Postby Dustin F » Aug 28th, '13, 08:03

Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting. If all else fails you can select each of the physical listings, go to the partition tab, set the partition number to one and set the format to free space. This will remove all partitioning on the drives then you can select on of them and the raid tab and drag each into the raid window to set up the mirrored raid.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby xmatic » Aug 28th, '13, 16:53

Thank you for the tip - I'll give it a try.

-Chris

User

Postby mgelinas » Oct 1st, '13, 23:13

Dustin thank you for your help.

Return to G-RAID w/ Thunderbolt

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php