Connecting G-speed FC XL to multiple computers

User

Connecting G-speed FC XL to multiple computers

Postby ultimatenic » Mar 15th, '13, 07:26

I have 2 G-Speed FC xls fiber wired to 2 mac editing stations. We are bringing on 2 additional editing stations (macs) in a differrent part of the building and I'd like to get some ideas on how I can connect them to our G-speeds.

In the past I've shared the G-speeds via the main macs over our ethernet network. It works but its slow, virtually impossible to edit HD video.

I'm wondering if:
-New macs can connect directly to G-Speed FC Xls, as in not going through a shared computer? And can I do this over our existing ethernet network? Would I need a different kind of switcher/card to make the G-Speed act like a server and not a mounted hard drive on a computer? Is that even possible?
-Or is running fiber to new computers and attaching directly to fiber switcher the only way?

I'm in the dark here, trying to up my knowledge on this equipment and can't seem to find any resources. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Connecting G-speed FC XL to multiple computers

Postby Gene G » Mar 15th, '13, 08:52

Hi ultimatenic,

Thanks for your post. The G-SPEED FC XL can be shared over a network, but it would be a fibre network, not ethernet. It would require that you run fibre to all the workstations and connected via a fibre switch. I would recommend that you find somebody experienced in setting up fibre networks. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby ultimatenic » Mar 15th, '13, 10:55

Thank you for your quick response.

Just talked with our facility network guys and the building is wired for fiber already. GREAT!

He also suggested using a media converter to convert fiber to Ethernet and upgrading Ethernet routers and cables(currently at 100mbps to 1000mbps) to these stations.

I'm curious would the G-speed FC XL fiber out work with a media converter to 1000mbps Ethernet and would that be fast enough to share and edit video on?

Postby Gene G » Apr 2nd, '13, 10:56

That may work, you might want to look at 10Gb ethernet adapters for better throughput.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

Return to G-SPEED FC XL

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php