Drive not readable

User

Drive not readable

Postby JamesLip » Nov 7th, '13, 02:59

Hi there

I was wondering if someone could help me

I have 12 TB ES Pro attached to a Mac pro using a R680 in raid 0

It has been working fine for about 9 months but yesterday when I to restarted the machine it, the drive didn't come up and "The disk you inserted is not readable by this computer" message came up, i have tried restarting a few times it always comes up with the same message. All the lights are blue and when i log into the Atto config everything seems fine

This has happen once before on the drive around 9 months ago and then the data wasn't so important for just re-formated the drive now i really need the data back so if there anything anyone can suggest i would be very grateful

Cheers

James

Re: Drive not readable

Postby Dustin F » Nov 7th, '13, 08:11

Hi James,

Thanks for posting. It sounds like there was some corruption to the partition table to the point that OS can't see the partition data. A third party program will be needed to recover the data. In this case I would recommend either Data Rescue 3 which bypasses the partition table and allows you to get the data off, you do need another drive capable of holding the data on it however. Another program that I have gotten feed back form that worked well specifically on the g-speed series is r-studio. Good luck.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby JamesLip » Nov 7th, '13, 08:51

Ok Bugger so not a simple fix

I've looked a data rescue and it looks to only restore know files, we use a lot of filme files like MXF and Ari files and it appears to rename or move the file structure

Do you think there a fault with a drive ? We use quite a lot of ES pro around 12 this year and this is the only one that failed and it done it twice ?

Cheers

James

Postby Dustin F » Nov 8th, '13, 08:37

James,

Corruption can be caused by external influences like power surge improper disconnects, programs locking up while accessing the drive, and a variety of other things. If it was within a month or so between corruptions I might worry but 9 months I wouldn't say so. You can try turning the unit off, ejecting each drive and reinserting it as sometimes the modules can wiggle a little loose from the cumulative vibration of the array.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Return to G-SPEED eS PRO

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php