G Speed not mounting

User

G Speed not mounting

Postby MattCarkeek » Nov 21st, '12, 14:56

Hi guys

I have owned a G-Speed ES 4Tb for about 3yrs and used it successfully with my old Macbook via a Lacie Sata 2 Express Card 34, primarily as my main back up drive, so lots of important work and personal things still on there.

Because I been moving countries frequently I have not used my drive for some time, during which time I have purchased a new Macbook Pro 15", 2.3Ghz, etc (the old machine now being defunct)

I have recently been trying to re-install my drive with my new machine using the expensive option of a Sonnet Echo ExpressCard34 Thunderbolt adaptor and thunderbolt cable, but without luck.

The drive is not recognised on the desktop or in Disk Utility.

Do I need to install any drivers for the G Tech? What am I doing wrong? It would KILL me to have to erase or reformat and lose what I have on the drive.

Please help.

Regards

Matt

Re: G Speed not mounting

Postby Gene G » Nov 26th, '12, 11:07

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your post. When you originally setup the G-SPEED eS with the Lacie adapter, did you create the RAID in Disk Utility? Does the drive appear in Disk Utility when connected with the adapters? Are you trying to use the Lacie cardbus adapter with the Sonnett Echo Thunderbolt-Express34 adapter? If so, you may need to see if the Lacie adapter has drivers that are compatible. If you created the RAID in Disk Utility, you should be able to use it with any port-multiplication capabkle adapter. You may need to go with the Sonnett Tempo Pro adapter. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby MattCarkeek » Nov 27th, '12, 11:16

Hi Gene
Thanks for replying.
The RAID was originally setup on my old Macbook machine.
On my current Macbook Pro I have not set this up as the drive is not recognised on the machine at all, so no the drive is not appearing in disk utility.
I am using a Lacie Sata 2 Express Card 34 with the Sonnet Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt Adapter and nothing is happening.
How do i create the RAID in disk utility?
I'm really at a loss here as I was told by the experts at Macupgrade.co.uk that the above adapter plus thunderbolt cable should work.
Are there drivers I need to install for the drive?
Thanks
Matt

Postby Gene G » Nov 27th, '12, 12:28

Hi Matt,

There are no drivers required for the drive. The issue lies with the Lacie card, are the drivers for that updated? Do you have another known working drive with eSATA you could try>

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
g-technology.com

User

Postby MattCarkeek » Nov 27th, '12, 12:39

Hi Gene

Ok, thanks.

I have tested the same setup with my G Tech 2tb with the same outcome, not mounting.

I did download the drivers for the Lacie card (http://www.lacie.com/uk/support/support ... m?id=10548) although my Lacie card may be an older version of this one.

You also mentioned I may need to look at the Pro version of the Sonnet adapter....I just spent £120 on the version that was recommended to me!!!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Matt

Postby Gene G » Nov 27th, '12, 12:51

Hi Matt,

Your system may be too new for the Lacie card, it is only compatible with 10.5 and 10.6 on the website. The drivers may not be compatible with Lion or Mountain Lion

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
g-technology.com

User

Postby MattCarkeek » Nov 27th, '12, 12:57

Thanks.

Return to G-SPEED eS

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php