2T Missing from Capacity

User

2T Missing from Capacity

Postby wenganna » Mar 28th, '14, 13:58

I have an 8T G-Speed Q drive and I recently noticed that the capacity shows 6T instead of 8T. It originally showed 8T. I bought this drive a year ago. It currently has about 1.5T of data stored. The lights are blue on all four modules. How do I know if or which drive module is having problems or not showing up? Running disk utility shows no problems but it also only shows 6T. I stupidly didn't partition the drive so it is one massive drive and I don't know how or on which modules the data are stored. Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: 2T Missing from Capacity

Postby Dustin F » Mar 31st, '14, 07:55

Hi wenganna,

Thanks for posting. The G-Speed Q ships by default in RAID 5 which writes a parody to each of the 4 drives as such you loose one drive worth of capacity. In this setup if one drive fails you would still have access to the data and when you replace the failed drive the other three drives rebuild the information that was on the fourth. You would only have the full 8TB if you set it to RAID 0, but in that configuration if one of the drives wasn't working correctly you would lose access to all the data. It sounds like the drive is operating normally in a RAID 5 configuration.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Re: 2T Missing from Capacity

Postby wenganna » Apr 1st, '14, 08:59

Thanks so much. I won't worry anymore.

Return to G-SPEED Q

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php