Possible to Daisy Chain RAID 5 drives

User

Possible to Daisy Chain RAID 5 drives

Postby Greg M » Mar 18th, '14, 05:56

I'm considering a purchase, but I'm wondering if its possible to daisy chain RAID 5 configured drives? I'm also going to be keeping a cloned offline drive and will be performing backups to the clone periodically. Is this possible?
Thanks!

Re: Possible to Daisy Chain RAID 5 drives

Postby Dustin F » Mar 18th, '14, 07:41

Hi Greg,

Thanks for posting. The G-Speed Q can function in a daisy chain. As for the cloned offline drive you are referring to, do you mean you are going to clone the g-speed to another drive for backup? If so I suggest using sync software rather than clones as many clone softwares go sector by sector on drives and don't always handle raids well.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby Greg M » Mar 19th, '14, 10:01

Hi Dustin,
Thanks for the quick reply! I work in an archives, so having redundancies are key in our preservation plans. In this case I will have 23TB of data (video) and need to balance cost-effectiveness with preservation, yet we don't have the option of putting on a network server or networked DAM. This is why I was considering daisy chaining the G-Speed Q's together and keeping an offline copy in reserve which would be synced or mirrored as appropriate.

Do you have any recommendations on the sync software?

Thanks,
Greg

Postby Dustin F » Mar 20th, '14, 07:14

Hi Greg,

Chronosync is a pretty well rated sync software. I do not recommend using a mirrored raid between external drives as all it would take for one drive to read as failed in the raid is to take a little longer to spin up than the other. Basically software raids are unstable on external drives.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby Greg M » Mar 20th, '14, 12:37

Hi Dustin,
If I forego the daisy chain is it safe to mirror individual raid 5 drives?
Thanks,
Greg

Postby Dustin F » Mar 21st, '14, 07:15

Hi Greg,

Even if they are both a direct connection I do not recommend a software raid. It is a better idea to go with sync software.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Return to G-SPEED Q

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php