Next generation G-Safe

User

Next generation G-Safe

Postby dberez » Aug 30th, '13, 06:08

G-Tech,

I'm looking for the next generation G-Safe, hopefully 4TB Thunderbolt. My need is a hardware mirrored, modestly portable unit just like the G-SAFE but just a bit larger. I'm backing up footage in the field and I need it to be pretty speedy. Am I correct in assuming that a software RAIDED array will be much slower if striped as RAID 1?

It looks like the G-Safe is discontinued? I hope not.

Can you make a recommendation?

Thanks, David

Re: Next generation G-Safe

Postby Dustin F » Aug 30th, '13, 07:55

Hi David,

Thanks for posting. The g-safe has been discontinued and there are no current plans for a direct replacement. The closest product we now offer is the g-dock ev. It is a thunderbolt dock that houses two removable modules that function as usb drives when removed. The current capacity of these drives are 1TB. It is a software raided unit. It can be configured with disk utility as JBOD, mirrored (Raid 1), or stripped (Raid 0). Here is a link to the product page if you wish to know more on it. http://www.g-technology.com/products/g- ... hunderbolt
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby dberez » Aug 31st, '13, 14:06

Dustin,

Thanks for your reply. So, a couple of questions . . .

Using the G-dock EV in a RAID 1 configuration (software RAIDED). How does this work? If for example, I copy files A,B,C to drive 1. and C,D,E to drive 2 and then insert the two drives into the unit, does the RAID 1 then copy the files (bi directionally) to ensure that the two drives match?

And then the second question . . . If I put two drives into the unit and attach to my laptop. My goal is to have two copies of of media as soon as I can but I don't want to do this manually. So, I begin copying 256GB to drive 1. I assume that when its finished copying to drive 1, it will automatically copy to drive 2 because its RAID 1?

These are both very imprtant questions to my workflow. What I'd like to do is "set it and forget it" knowing that if I copy to one drive when I wake it will have copied to both. Or similarly, I copy off our footage using two workstations to the separate drives and then we can take those "differing" EV drives and "sync" them when we install them in the dock.

Please let me know.

David

Postby Dustin F » Sep 4th, '13, 13:45

David,

It is not a bi-directional sync. Within the g-dock it always copies from the top slot to the bottom slot. So if drive 1 is in the top slot with files A,B,C and you insert drive 2 with files C,D,E into the bottom slot drive 2 will then only have files A,B,C. With both drives in once you start making changes to one of the drives it will have the same effect on the other drive, writing to both drives at the same time. Keep in mind if you delete a file while they are both in the g-dock it will delete from both drives.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby 11ty1st » Jan 18th, '14, 13:27

Could you clarify whether the g-safe drives I now own are usable with any other g-tech systems? G-speed, for example.

I have three 1 TB g-sage drives that I no longer use regularly as I now fill my g-safe with a pair of 2 TB drives. I would like to use the 1 TB drives, though, to back-up a different data set. Is there a device that can house them?

Thank you.

Postby Dustin F » Jan 23rd, '14, 16:48

Hi 11ty1st,

Thanks for posting. The modules are standard sata drives. The only other units we have that use removable modules like that are the g-speed series that use 4 drives. However they do use a different sled mechanism that are not compatible. Sleds can be easily removed though.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Return to G-SAFE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php