G-Raid Mini - compat with? - Mac OSX 10.8.2

User

G-Raid Mini - compat with? - Mac OSX 10.8.2

Postby mabundis » Jan 30th, '13, 00:11

I tried to run Time Machine this morning for my usual backup, using my G-Raid Mini (part # 0G01652). This was my first time doing a back up after upgrading my MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel duo to OSX Mountain Lion (10.8.2).

At first the G-Raid was recognized by Finder (appeared on the desktop) and I started Time Machine, and walked away. But later I found Time Machine still running after 12 hours (very unusual, usually takes about 1/2 hour).

I tried to open the Time Machine preferences to see if it was doing a full backup, instead of just my user docs - but then the whole system got hung. Did a force quit on System Preferences, but now Finder no longer recognized the G-Raid Mini - tried running Disk Utilities, and still no luck. Rebooted the MacBook, but still no luck.

Changed cables used for connecting the drive (no luck), downloaded the G-Tech Configurator to see if the drive needed to be re-initialized but then Mac OSX won't let me open and run Configurator (see attached message). Tried to see what System Preferences might prevent Configurator running but could find none. Also see the G-Tech download spec for Configurator only goes up to 10.6 - is the G-Tech driver incompatible with 10.8 . . . or did my drive just happen to * out at this particular moment?

HELP!?!?!
Screen Shot 2013-01-30 at 8.46.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-01-30 at 8.46.05 AM.png (47.13 KiB) Viewed 4197 times

Re: G-Raid Mini - compat with? - Mac OSX 10.8.2

Postby Gene G » Jan 30th, '13, 09:07

Hi mabundus,

Thanks for your post. It sounds like you may have a damaged directory from the system hang. Does the drive appear in Disk Utility, but greyed out? If so, it indicates directory damage, and running DiskWarrior or the Rebuild funtion of TechTool Pro and see if you can repair the directory and allow the drive to mount.

The reason you are getting the message when you try to use the Configurator is because of Gatekeeper. You can take care of this by going to System Preferences, to the Security & Privacy Preferences. Under the General tab you will find a selection for "Allow applications downloaded from:" and choose "Anywhere" and it should work fine. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby mabundis » Jan 30th, '13, 09:28

No, it does not appear in Disk Utility at all . . . Does your comment imply that the current G-Tech driver should work for OSX 10.8.2, even though it only mentions compatibility with 10.6?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Postby Gene G » Jan 30th, '13, 11:59

The drive and the Configurator should work fine with 10.8.2, just use accept from anywhere in the Security Prefs. It could be the directory or possibly a bad drive. Do you hear any unusual sounds or activity?

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
g-technology.com

User

Postby mabundis » Jan 31st, '13, 10:37

Okay - I got the Configurator running now . . . but now it seems to get stuck at "Searching for a compatible device"
Configurator has been running for about 50 minutes now, and I occasionally hear the drive rev up and then slow down (along no regular intervals - as far as I can tell) - but with this window remaining unchanged.

Thoughts?
Screen Shot 2013-01-31 at 7.29.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-01-31 at 7.29.05 PM.png (74.05 KiB) Viewed 4180 times

User

Postby mabundis » Jan 31st, '13, 23:24

Hmm, okay after simply fooling around with things (disconnecting, reconnecting, rebooting, trying to run Configurator, etc.) . . . the drive was able to mount and do the Time Machine backup. All previously stored data was still there!?

I honestly don't know what (if anything) I did to fix the problem.
I ran Disk Utility: Verify, and Repair and everything looks fine!?!?

Is there anything else I might do just to make sure I don't have a mysterious problem like this again?
Should I reformat the drive (using Configurator, of Disk Utility?)
Also I *tried* to run Configurator as part of my fooling around (above), but I never got past this screen (i.e., Configurator *does not* seem to work on 10.8.2)
I would like to avoid problems like this in the future. The only other suspicious thing I noticed about using my G-Raid Mini is that I always needed to reboot in order to get the drive to mount - it would not mount simply by connecting the cable . . . since I was using an e-sata card I figured this could be an issue with the card and not the drive.

Thoguths?!
Screen Shot 2013-01-31 at 7.29.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-01-31 at 7.29.05 PM.png (74.05 KiB) Viewed 4180 times

Postby Gene G » Feb 1st, '13, 13:02

The G-RAID Mini must be the only external drive connected or the Configurator cannot find a drive. You might try another cable if you are having issues. Formatting the drive should be done in Disk Utility, the Configurator is for changing between RAID0 and RAID1. If you are using eSATA, some cards require a restart of the computer for the drive to mount, it sounds like your is one. Which eSATA card and computer are you using?

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
g-technology.com

User

Postby mabundis » Feb 2nd, '13, 08:13

Yes, the G-Raid mini was the *only* external drive connected at the time.
Since I was finally able to do a Time Machine back up (using the same cable as before), I don't think I have a problem with the cable.
The eSATA card I am using is from Other World Computing (1 SATA port) on a MacBook Pro 4,1 (early 2008) using the MBP's express (34?) card slot.

Again, things seem to be working okay now . . . but *still*
Is there anything else I might do just to make sure I don't have a mysterious problem like this again?

Thanks for your help!!

Postby Gene G » Feb 5th, '13, 09:43

The cable is probably OK. The biggest issue I have seen with eSATA adapters such as this is that the connection can often be very delicate, in that sometimes the slightest movement can interrupt the connection. Just be careful with the connection to your cardbus/laptop.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
g-technology.com

Return to G-RAID mini

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php