Single HDD in Raid external enclosure

User

Single HDD in Raid external enclosure

Postby lansinger » May 12th, '14, 06:43

After a long search for the perfect HDD enclosure to fit my needs I finally found one -- on eBay. It met my criteria to a tee: all-aluminum construction / a fan / a heat sink / small 2.5 drive size. It was the G-Raid Mini enclosure.

Here's the problem: I'm not interested in using this for a twin HDD RAID setup. Is there any way this enclosure could be used for a non-RAID function? Specifically, could it be utilized as an external enclosure for a single hard drive, which is what I'm after? Please tell me it could, because it's impossible to find all-aluminum / fan / heat sink / and mini-size features in enclosures intended for single drives!

The HDD it would be housing, incidentally, is a 10,000 rpm one that generates a lot of heat, hence the need for the multiple cooling features. The computer is an iMac running OS X 10.6.8.

Re: Single HDD in Raid external enclosure

Postby Dustin F » May 12th, '14, 07:47

Hi lansinger,

Thanks for posting. The g-raid mini is meant to be used with two drives in a raid 0 or raid 1 configuration. It will not work with a single drive. Normally the g-raid would have been sold with drives pre-installed. They have only been tested with HGST drives cannot guarantee how well other drives will work.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Re: Single HDD in Raid external enclosure

Postby lansinger » May 12th, '14, 09:07

Thanks for the prompt response to my query, Dustin. Although I guess this dashes my hopes of having found the ultimate external enclosure. Still can't let go of the idea of making this thing work with one drive, though. Maybe some sort of Frankensteinian tinkering with the IC will do it!

Thanks again for the swift response.

Return to G-RAID mini

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php