GRAID Ejecting Itself Randomly

User

GRAID Ejecting Itself Randomly

Postby noclue41 » Oct 26th, '12, 05:54

I have two Gen4 GRAIDs (8TB & 4TB using out of the box formatting) connected to an Mid-2010 12-Core 2.66 MacPro MAC OSX 10.7.5 with a HighPoint RocketRAID 231x/230x eSATA Controller Card. The 4TB drive has been consistently ejecting itself lately. When it does, the controller repeatedly beeps until the computer is restarted. At first, it was occasionally, once a month or so. Lately, it has been several times a day. I tried changing eSATA cables and using different ports, but still it was ejecting itself. I use the 4TB drive primarly for Time Machine and Global Cache for After Effects and Premiere Pro CS6. I have now removed the 4TB drive from eSATA and moved it to Firewire 800, much to my dissappointment. It has not ejected itself once since I did it one week ago. Today, the 8TB drive (my media drive) just ejected itself for the first time. Now, I had JUST plugged in a 1.5TB GRAID-Mini via Firewire 800 seconds before it happened. Could that be related? I have contacted G-Tech via it's support page, but have yet to recieve a response (only an automated one saying they will respond soon). Has anyone had their GRAID randomly eject themselves from eSATA? Have you figured out how to stop it? Not sure if it is a Drive issue or a controller card issue.

Re: GRAID Ejecting Itself Randomly

Postby Gene G » Oct 26th, '12, 10:55

Hi,

Thanks for your post. Does the drive eject at random times, or when you are doing something specific? If it is random, you said you have tried different cables and ports on the card, so it may be the controller card in the G-RAID. If this is the case I would recommend that you send the drive in for replacement. If you are getting the beeper, log into the WEB GUI and enable the beeper mute at the bottom of the main page. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby noclue41 » Oct 26th, '12, 11:51

It appears random to me. Originally, it seemed like it would eject when I return to the computer after being away for a while. I do have hard disks set to never turn off. But now it would be while I am working in after effects. I will have to look into the GUI settings. I have not used them before. You are thinking the controller in the Drive itself?

User

Postby noclue41 » Oct 30th, '12, 10:20

Intalled the HighPoint Web GUI, and disabled the beeper. The Drive is still disconnecting itself, just not as loud :) Attempted to rescan and reconnect the drive w/o rebooting and it is not working. I did swap ports and cables, and it came back once. But that trick did not work again.

User

Postby noclue41 » Jan 4th, '13, 13:25

Got my 4TB replacement. Working Fine. Unfortunately, now my 8TB drive is starting to randomly disconnect. Not super pleased with the reliability of these drives.

User

Postby markie » Feb 13th, '13, 06:48

I am having the same problem with my GRAID 4T randomly ejecting in the middle of an edit or in the middle of rendering or in the middle of doing nothing. It just disappears and then I get the icon that says "your drive was ejected improperly". I can not express how frustrated I am and how disappointed. I guess my only option is to return the drive ????? I'm using an eSATA connection (which worked GREAT with my LACIE drive) and am on a MacPRO OS X 10.6.8. Purchased the GRAID in Dec. 1012.
I guess there is no solution to this problem?
I should have paid attention to the many posts that talked about this problem.

Postby Gene G » Feb 13th, '13, 12:24

Hi Markie,

Thanks for your post. It sounds like a bad controller board. Could you please contact me at eugene.gilbert@hgst.com with the part number and serial number from your drive so we can go over your case better.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby noclue41 » Apr 25th, '13, 05:43

Following up on my own post. My 8TB main drive has begun to eject itself now, too. I also got a brand new 8TB for a Time Machine drive. It is also ejecting randomly. Have not had it a week. I am finding these drive very unreliable. Perhaps the USB 3.0 drive are better, but Mac Pro's dont have USB 3.0 yet. So that gives me the option of replacing all the drives AND buying a USB 3.0 Controller card? I guess I should not have invested so heavily into eSATA. :(

User

Postby skidmore » Dec 15th, '13, 15:22

all 4 of my 4TB G-RAIDs appear to be having this issue STILL, even after the firmware update. what is the deal?

Postby Dustin F » Dec 16th, '13, 09:38

Hi skidmore,

Thanks for posting. If you are having trouble with multiple drives there may be a issue within your system. We have sometimes seen a reset of the SMC and PRAM resolve connection issues. I would recommend giving that a try. I am including links to guides on how to perform them.
SMC reset:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964
PRAM reset:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Next

Return to G-RAID

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php