G-Raid Not Mounting

User

G-Raid Not Mounting

Postby jreardon » Jan 26th, '13, 14:50

I have a G-Raid 3 that won't mount to one Mac computer but will with another. I've run a repair on the hard drive on the Mac that it will mount to and tried to connect it back to the Mac that it won't mount to. It still will not mount. It is directly connected to the Mac computers with a USB cable.

Any thoughts?

Re: G-Raid Not Mounting

Postby Gene G » Jan 28th, '13, 14:52

Hi,

Thanks for your post. What are the differences between the two Macs? Are you using the same cable on both computers? Does the drive appear in Disk Utility on the Mac it won't mount? Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby jreardon1023 » Feb 4th, '13, 11:27

There are no differences between the two Mac computers. Both are running MAC OS X version 10.6.8.

I am using the same exact cable on both computers.

The drive does not appear in the disk utility on the Mac that it won't mount with. However, I took the drive to the other computer (that I don't want it mounted with) and tried the disk utility on that computer. For the first time, it did show in the disk utility on that Mac. I attempted a repair but I received an error message that the disk utility stopped because it could not unmount the disk.

User

Postby jreardon1023 » Feb 4th, '13, 11:45

In addition, the other computer won't recognize the G-Raid in Finder unless I manually turn off the G-Raid. When I turn it off manually and then turn it back on, it'll be recognized in Finder. I'm trying to unmount it manually from Finder to see if I can stop the unmounting error, however, Finder won't let me. Finder throws out the same "you did not unmount the drive" error and shuts down the G-Raid.

User

Postby jreardon1023 » Feb 4th, '13, 12:01

I can now force the G-Raid to display in the Finder and Time Machine application on the computer that I want it mounted with by manually turning the G-Raid on and off but the Mac forces it shut with the unmount error after it recognizes the G-Raid so there's no way for me to try to repair the G-Raid in disk utility.

Postby Gene G » Feb 5th, '13, 09:48

Have you tried running DiskWarrior on the drive, it may have a damaged directory? Another thing you can try is to re-format the drive.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
g-technology.com

User

Postby jreardon » Feb 12th, '13, 20:33

It turns out that it was a bad cable. It's up and running now.

User

Postby Nachex » Feb 25th, '13, 18:20

Hi , i've the same problem , the drive appear in Disk Utility and doesn't mount. Look at attachment.
Attachments
DW G drive Report.tiff
DW G drive Report.tiff (107.98 KiB) Viewed 4404 times

Postby Gene G » Feb 26th, '13, 08:30

Hi Nachex,

Thanks for your post. I cannot see the screenshot, but if the volume (indented) is greyed out, it indicates directory damage, which is usually caused by losing power or disconnecting improperly. In this case, you could try running DiskWarrior or TechToolPro Rebuild, and repair the directory and allow the drive to mount. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
g-technology.com

User

Postby Nachex » Feb 26th, '13, 09:46

Disk Warrior Report
Attachments
DW G drive Report.JPG
DW G drive Report.JPG (113.39 KiB) Viewed 4398 times

Next