G-RAID becomes read only after spin down

Re: G-RAID becomes read only after spin down

Postby Dustin F » Mar 10th, '14, 08:41

Hi C,

Thanks for posting. I would suggested the SMC and PRAM reset that was mentioned in the previous posts. If that does not resolve it the main work around we can suggest is a free program called keep drive spinning. It will send a signal to the drive every few minutes to prevent the lower power status. Or if your computer is equipped with usb 3 we have not seen the issue occur on that connection and usb 3 is capable of faster speeds than firewire. If you do have further trouble you can always call the support center and see about setting up an exchange.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby evero1 » Mar 15th, '14, 03:06

Thanks for your feedback. I have tried the SMC and PRAM reset with no luck. As i mentioned I use the late 2009 imac; FW800 is the only possible connection for acceptable performance on this system. I bought the G-Raid specifically for it's FW800 capability. I'm not too confident relying on third party apps for keeping the drive from spinning down, and this certainly looks unproffesional in front of clients when I need to connect the drive to other imacs. To investigate further I just sent a support request for my case.

C

User

Postby felixemartinez » Jul 19th, '14, 15:46

I just bought the 4tb G-Raid connected to a Mac Pro 1,1 running the venerable but rock solid 10.5.8.

This replaced a G-Raid 500 which gave me nearly a decade of service, purchased before the Mac Pro.

I am getting same error now - drive unwriteable - error - apparently after it goes to sleep. Never happened before with the other G-Raid.

Is there a bonafide fix, or do I have to rig it with that freeware keep spinning drive applet?

I have a couple of Lacie drives that do not exhibit this problem either.

Postby Dustin F » Jul 21st, '14, 07:43

Hi felixemartinez,

Thanks for posting. I have recently been informed that we now have a firmware update for the generation 5 g-raid drives that should resolve the issue. If problem persists after the firmware update try resetting the smc and pram on the mac. The firmware is available from our downloads section.

Downloads: http://support.g-technology.com/support/downloads

SMC reset: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

PRAM reset: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby felixemartinez » Jul 21st, '14, 16:04

Thanks Dustin,

While awaiting your response, I have incorporated the Keep Drive Spinning software/applet that was referenced above and that seems to have fixed the problem. I have tested the drive for over 24 hours leaving the entire system running, also putting system to sleep, and have not had an issue since installing the applet. I'm not thrilled having to do that, but at least everything appears to be working.

It does appear to be an issue when the drive spins down while the rest of the system is on.

Is the firmware update a confirmed solution for this issue?

Will it require me to reformat the drive requiring me to back up, restore all the data?

If so, I'm torn updating as I will lose about a days worth of moving media around. Is there another serious issue going on that would tip me toward updating the firmware? Could there be possible corruption of data that the firmware is addressing?

Postby Dustin F » Jul 22nd, '14, 07:12

felixemartinez,

We have tested the firmware update. It seems to work just fine. While the firmware update itself does not format the drive we do recommend backing up the data before hand. As with any firmware update there is the small chance that if something interrupts the update such as a loss of power, connection loss , or system freeze it could lead to the controller becoming corrupted and the drive becoming inaccessible.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby felixemartinez » Aug 1st, '14, 19:15

The firmware update did not work. I get the error -50 etc.

I reinstalled Keep Drive Spinning applet and the problem went away.

Is this the only fix?

Postby Dustin F » Aug 4th, '14, 07:56

felixemartinez,

Since the issue persisted after the firmware update did you try resetting the SMC and PRAM on the computer?
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Previous

Return to G-RAID

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php