Switching between MAC & PC

User

Switching between MAC & PC

Postby sonny75 » Sep 7th, '12, 18:24

Which G drive model(s) allow easy switch (plug & play) b/w MAC & PC? It seems that not all drives are compatible and I'm not sure if moving b/w platforms is as simple as plug & play. Thanks.

Re: Switching between MAC & PC

Postby Kenny M » Sep 13th, '12, 13:05

Hello Sonny75,

G-Technology products are formated for Mac out of the box but with a reformat they can be configured for cross platform use. Currently there are two formats that will allow read and write access for both OS:

FAT32 (MS-DOS): Limited to no single file over 4GB, Works with all versions of Windows and Mac OS.

exFAT: Requires a exFAT update for Windows XP, natively supported by Windows Vista and Windows 7.
Requires Mac OS 10.6.5+.

Please follow the link below for the steps on formating a G-Drive to FAT32:
http://www.g-technology.com/kbase/users ... gory_id=22
*If supported these instructions can be used for formating to exFAT.

Lastly there is the option of adding support with third party applications.
Mac formated drive support for Windows: http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/standard/
NTFS formated drive support for Mac: http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/
Regards

Kenny M
G-Technology Technical Support

User

Postby slavictoire » Dec 8th, '14, 09:30

Mr Kenny M

I'm unable to format my 4TB USB3 G-Drive for ExFAT. I'm operating on a 2009 iMac OS10,6,8.

The MRD option from the partition is greyed out and erase the disk says request denied. I wroth a whole new thread about this, but it's taking long to be submitted.

Postby Dustin F » Dec 9th, '14, 08:41

Hi slavictoire,

Thanks for posting. Any drive above 2TB must be set with a GUID partition tabel regardless of format. From the partition tab in disk utility make sure GUID is selected under options then set the format to exfat. You should be able to format at that point.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby slavictoire » Dec 9th, '14, 09:00

Hi Mr Dustin F,

So, regardless of what solution I've got, My 4TB G-Drive would become a single 2TB partition only for Windows and two 2 TB partition for Mac?

Postby Dustin F » Dec 10th, '14, 08:15

Hi slavictoire,

That sounds like the drive is not going into a GUID partition table but staying on a MBR. Since you are having trouble I suggest calling into the support center. The phone number is 888-426-5214. Hours are 8AM-5PM PST Mon-Fri.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php