G-Drive w/Thunderbolt Windows Problem

User

G-Drive w/Thunderbolt Windows Problem

Postby jrobe1590 » Feb 13th, '14, 06:16

Two new 4TB G-Drives will not appear in Explorer or Disk Mgmt when connected via Thunderbolt to a new HP ZBook. Shows connected in Thunderbolt software on PC but disk does not appear. Works just fine when connected via USB3. Neither HP or G-Tech understand this problem. Would have thought that G-Tech and HP would have tested each others product as ZBook one of the few PC laptops with Thunderbolt and both aimed at high end video/photo marketplace. Is this a driver problem or a BIOS problem. Both companies need to work together rather than point fingers!

Re: G-Drive w/Thunderbolt Windows Problem

Postby Dustin F » Feb 13th, '14, 08:35

Hi jrobe1590,

Thanks for posting. The thunderbolt driver is part of the intel chipset installer package. Have you tried reinstalling or checking for an updated driver version yet?
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby jrobe1590 » Feb 13th, '14, 08:47

Yes Reports as no updates to driver. Intel 1566 controller driver installed is 1.3.017.

Postby Dustin F » Feb 13th, '14, 09:13

Hi jrobe1590,

Have you also tried uninstalling the chipset software and reinstalling? An alternate thought is have you tried turning the drive on before the computer? While normally thunderbolt is hot swapable, since this is a new territory for HP I wonder if there is a kink or two in there. Do you also just have the one thunderbolt cable or do you have another to test with?
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby jrobe1590 » Feb 13th, '14, 09:56

Yes HP had me do a reinstall. Since I have two identical 4TB G-Drives drives, I have tried both and tried both cables to no avail. Have tried the various modes of on/off. Thunderbolt software is currently showing the device as connected and authorized and if you unplug you hear the tone acknowledgement when you plug in or unplug. You can also remove all devices and then reestablish them as authorized. HP is sending a technician out to replace the port, I guess it's a pcie card but I doubt that's it since it sees the drive but won't recognize it in Explorer or disk management. Again to repeat, everything is fine if plugged into usb. My guess is driver or BIOS issue. Also checked BIOS and Thunderbolt is set to on and authorize new device.

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php