G Drive G4 2TB

User

G Drive G4 2TB

Postby peterharrisaudio » Jan 21st, '14, 08:48

I have been using my drive (purchased December 2011) for Time Machine on my iMac 27" 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, and manual back-up of audio and other material from other sources. It is currently on 1.3TB usage. Yesterday an error message told me to run Verify Disc and Disc Repair as the computer had lost the connection with the G drive. I ran both (successfully) but Disc Utility told me that after 3 attempts it failed to repair the disc. It suggested I backup as much material as possible but the disc will not mount. The unit still makes the same noises it always did (i.e. disc runs smoothly with the usual little ping as the tracker arm locates (or whatever it does) but the disc will no longer mount in the Finder sidebar or desktop, and I can no longer connect with it via WiFi from my MacBook.

What next? Surely these drives last longer than a couple of years . . .

Any help much appreciated.

PeterH

Re: G Drive G4 2TB

Postby Dustin F » Jan 21st, '14, 14:47

Hi Peter,

Thanks for posting. Issues such as this are usually a logical issue, not necessarily a physical one. We often see an issue with partition tables where time machine and manually copped data occupy the same partition although it usually results in a read only status. If the other data besides the time machine is backed up elsewhere the easiest course of action would be to format the drive with the erase tab in disk utility to restore the partition table to get the drive functioning again. If some of the files are not backed up anywhere else you would need a third party program such as disk warrior or data rescue 3 to recover the files. Disk warrior can often repair the partition table where disk utility cannot, data rescue 3 bypasses the partition table to allow you to copy files off.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby peterharrisaudio » Jan 22nd, '14, 15:59

Not sure what happened to my reply yesterday evening but at the risk of repetition - soon after posting my original topic I decided to re-run RepairDisc in Disc Utility. This time it repaired successfully although I had to re-boot the drive before it would mount again. The files were all there and all now seems well again. Strangely timeMachine seems to have lost all the back-ups back to October last year!

Does all this spell the imminent death of the drive and should I be looking to replace it? How long can one expect an external hard drive to last. This one was purchased in December 2012 which makes it only two years old.

Thanks for your help.

PeterH

Postby Dustin F » Jan 23rd, '14, 10:51

Hi Peter,

Corruption of the partition table can happen to any drive even if it is functioning perfectly. Was the drive running out of space? If so that might explain why older dates are not in time machine. If a drive runs out of room time machine will delete the older files to make room for the new stuff. This could also lead to corruption of the partition table as files are moved around the surface of the hdd in order to keep the platters from wearing out and without adequate free space to move data files especially if some are on a bad sector this can cause issues. We suggest at least 15-20% of the drive free in order to work well. If you were below this amount that could account for the problem.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php