G-Drive 4T Failing Mac Time Machine Backups

Re: G-Drive 4T Failing Mac Time Machine Backups

Postby Dustin F » Mar 3rd, '14, 13:09

Hi Jon,

If the firmware update, and smc and pram resets have not worked, you may want to try as a work around a free application called keep drive spinning. it will send a signal to the drive every few minutes to keep it from going idle. It is when the drive is idle that the firewire signal deteriorates and the firewire controller does not respond properly to the weakend signal. Usually the firmware update resolves that issue.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby jon » Mar 3rd, '14, 14:21

I did notice the FW 800 bus doesn't have this drive first, so next time I reboot I'll switch it around to put it first in the chain. I also have a beefy third-party FW800 cable I can try.

Barring that, I'll check out the application.

Will keep you posted.

User

Postby jon » Mar 6th, '14, 08:50

After moving the 4TB drive to the front of the chain, it's not had a problem with backups.

The big downside is my three downstream drives are falling off the bus (essentially crashing my server) at least once a day. Does that mean the FW800 ports on this 4TB drive are out of spec? Was there a chipset change since the 3TB G-Drive?

User

Postby jon » Mar 16th, '14, 11:57

The G-Drive 4TB with updated firmware is just plain unsatisfactory on the Firewire 800 bus. Either the backups fail regularly or the remainder of the drives fall off the server regularly.

I reorganized the USB devices and connected the 4TB drive using a direct connect USB from the Mac Mini. For the past week, all is well on the FW bus with the remaining drives and also withe the backups to the 4TB.

As a workaround, that's OK, but it isn't what I paid for with the new drive, and is uncharacteristic of the G-Drive, this being my 6th or 7th G-Drive external hard drive.

User

Postby chopper » Mar 17th, '14, 18:02

I agree with you, Jon, this unit is completely unsatisfactory. For a USB-capable drive only it is also very expensive.

I have had the same problem and my drive was not even connected for a couple of months. Now that I have connected it again, and tried to use to for Time Machine, I'm back to the old problem and as irritated as ever.

Postby Dustin F » Mar 18th, '14, 08:03

Jon,

We can also try to replace the drive under warranty since the other solutions are not working for you. A RMA can be filed here. http://prod.g-technology.com/support/warranty_rma.cfm
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby Gonzalez_Cruz » Jul 24th, '14, 14:15

Regarding the Time Machine Back up failure reported here, I want to let you know that I am experiencing the same issue with my new 4TB G-Drive connected through Firewire 800 (MacBook Pro 15” 2010, Mavericks, 8 Gb RAM). I have tried almost every measure indicated here an elsewhere without success, including the firmware update. I bought your drive for speedy Time Machine back ups mainly and as a replacement of my slow and unreliable USB external drive I has already. Therefore, using my brand new G-Drive with the USB interface comes as a last resort but really an unwanted one.

For your notice, I also bought an OWC Mercury Elite Pro enclosure for a Western Digital 1 TB drive I had previously connected with USB (cheap enclosure). Now, it is working flawlessly for Time Machine Back Ups through Firewire 800 (iMac 24” 2008, Mavericks, 6 Gb RAM)

The only think I do not want to try at all, is to keep the drive always spinning (by software) as a regard of its life expectancy.

I bought your drive through B&H in USA; have it sent to Miami, Florida where a delivery service to my country (Paraguay, South America) operates. I read that someone got a replacement drive and the problem disappears but for most, the issue keeps recurring even with a replacement product.

I did report to B&H my complaints and they expect my drive back for a replacement as it is covered under the 30 day Return Policy. I will appreciate your support in the matter.

Sincerely

Gonzalez Cruz

User

Fixing the G-Drive 4T Failing Mac Time Machine Backups

Postby Gonzalez_Cruz » Aug 2nd, '14, 14:33

I would like to share with this community that I am having no more problems with Time Machine Back Ups with my new G-Drive 4Tb FW plugged (MacBook Pro 15” 2010, Mavericks, 8Gb RAM) What I believe fixed the problem, was to set the Energy Saver System Preferences setting up to “put hard disk to sleep when possible” active. As you know the G-Drive has its own sleep routine that do not follows the Energy Saver settings of the Mac. What may be happening when the mentioned setting is unchecked, is that Mac OS and Time Machine believe the external HDD are active when they are not actually, so unsynchronized signal between the computer and the external G-Drive may occur.

Also, I did install the G-Technology Utility, which –as I understand- has no meaningful role with my G-Drive and the free utility CleanMyDrive. The latest seems to keep the external drives active more frequently so I uninstalled it finally.

If someone keeps having the Time Machine Back Up failure, he/she may try my solution at his/her own risk.

User

4TB NOT Readable

Postby James Gayo » Aug 20th, '14, 05:20

I have been shooting in Tanzania, One of my 4TB G raid failed when I tried to start it. there were signs of electrical fault as smell and smoke came out. After that it would not start. In a panic I moved the failed drives into another G Raid case that was ok. A message came out saying "the disc is not readable by this computer, Initialize, Ignore , Eject" I went to Disc utility and all repair and verify options were not active. I removed the failed drives and returned the working drives into their case. Surprising these too were not readable. Now I have all two drives not readable. The both contain very important footage we have been shooting for 7 months. Please help what can we do?
James Gayo

Postby Dustin F » Aug 20th, '14, 09:09

Hi James,

Thanks for posting. G-Raids have hardware raid controllers and if there is a version difference between controllers when you connect it you risk corrupting the data which seem to have been the case here. When you put the drives into the other case it may have reset the settings on the controller negating the raid configuration of the original drives on the controller end. Depending on what was damaged on the original unit at this point a data recovery service is going to be the best bet to get the data back.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

PreviousNext

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php