G-Drive 2TB waking up when MacPro is asleep

User

G-Drive 2TB waking up when MacPro is asleep

Postby Rich66 » Nov 4th, '13, 15:48

I use my 2TB G-Drive only as my Time Machine backup drive. I only back up to it manually, maybe once every 2 or 3 days. But I leave it on all the time the computer is on. Whenever my computer goes to sleep, the G-drive sounds like it goes quiet too. But then, every few minutes, the G-drive sounds like it starts up again on it's own, even though my MacPro is still asleep. Then a few minutes later, the drive goes to sleep again. Then the whole process repeats every few minutes. This seems like not a good thing for wear and tare on the drive, and the noise is annoying sometimes. Is there a firmware or software update? Or some preferences I should set differently?

The drive is connected to my 5 year old MacPro by an ESATA cable and card. My operating system is 10.7.5. The drive is almost 2 years old, but it has been acting this way for many months.

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Re: G-Drive 2TB waking up when MacPro is asleep

Postby Dustin F » Nov 5th, '13, 09:13

Hi Rich66,

Thanks for posting. In some cases even when the computer is asleep certain background processes can run that may access the drive, such as indexing from spotlight or the journaling process of the drive. You can add it to the exclusion list in the privacy tab for spotlight to see if that makes any difference.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby Rich66 » Nov 7th, '13, 15:09

Hi Dustin,

Thanks for that advice. I tried it and it seems to have solved the problem. I added it to the exclusion list in the privacy tab for Spotlight, as per your suggestion. Now when I put my MacPro to sleep, the drive goes to sleep and appears to stay that way.

Thank you very much,
Rich

User

Postby Rich66 » Mar 11th, '14, 06:45

This is a follow up, after almost a year. I still have a slight problem. I followed your advice and added the G-drive to the Spotlight exclusion list. That made it about 80% better, but when my MacPro is asleep, I still occasionally hear the G-Drive "waking up". It just starts up by itself. I hear it spinning up and clicking into gear. Then a few minutes later it winds down. So, any other ideas to fix this?

You mentioned it could also be caused by the "journaling process" of the drive. Is there any way to stop that when the computer is asleep? Is this causing unnecessary wear & tear on the drive?

Thanks.

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php