G-Drive flickering and not powering up

User

G-Drive flickering and not powering up

Postby mareaclare » Sep 17th, '13, 10:46

I noticed my G-Drive won't spin up (and thus obviously isn't seen by the computer) and the light is flickering. The power cable light flickers as well, but when I turn off the hard drive, the light on the power cable goes steady. I'm fearing the worst. Is there anything I can do to try to salvage my information? I likely won't be able to afford a professional driver recovery service (recent college graduate), so if that ends up being my only option, how long can I wait before taking it somewhere? I'll likely have to save up for quite a few months if not a year or two from what I have heard prices to be!! Just trying to rule out lesser expensive options first if indeed my hard drive is toast.

Re: G-Drive flickering and not powering up

Postby Dustin F » Sep 18th, '13, 07:36

Hi mareaclare.

Thanks for posting. If you are getting flickering from both the drive and the power adapter while the drive is in the on position it could be the power adapter isn't putting out enough power anymore or the controller of the enclosure isn't transferring power through properly anymore. The drive itself may be intact. If you can provide the part number on the drive I can tell you which power adapter it needs. If you have had your unit more than three years and would prefer to save time you can open the enclosure and transfer the drive into a generic enclosure. Please let me know.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby wmoreira » Sep 21st, '13, 12:49

Hi
I am also getting flickering from the hard drive (G-Drive 500Gb) and the power supply. Do I need to replace the power supply, and if so do you have any in stock that I can purchase?The part number for my drive is 913003-01.

Thanks

Postby Dustin F » Sep 23rd, '13, 07:12

Hi wmoreira,

Thanks for posting. There is a strong chance it is the power adapter. The part number you have is a g-drive q which uses a 5 pin dual voltage power supply. We do not currently have this adapter available from our website but is still available from other vendors. The part number for it is 0G00102.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php