G-Drive Q 1 TB Only Mounts Erratically, Freezes

User

G-Drive Q 1 TB Only Mounts Erratically, Freezes

Postby mac57 » Aug 5th, '13, 05:56

I recently purchased a new G-Drive Q 1 TB. Of particular interest to me was the mix of external interfaces, including USB 2.0, FW 400 and FW 800. This made the drive ideal for moving large sets of data between the mix of older and new computers we have at home.

The drive has caused me nothing but headaches since I tried it out this weekend. I attached it to my 2012 iMac (3.4 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 27" screen), running Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion), and turned the drive on. What I have discovered over many hours of frustrating testing is this: the drive will only mount erratically. Frequently I turn it on and nothing shows up on the desktop, and Disk Utility does not show that the drive is attached. When it does mount, both reads and writes generally freeze after some (fairly short) period of time, freezing the entire Mac with them, until I turn off the drive, at which point the Mac begins to function properly again.

I have tried this on both the iMac above and an older 2.3 GHz PowerMac G5 running Mac OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger). The behavior is the same in both cases. The behavior is consistent across all of the interfaces I tested: USB 2.0, FW 400 and FW 800. I don't have any eSATA capability, so I could not test this interface.

Poking around on line, I hear that there may be an internal G-Drive Q controller board firmware update that addresses this issue. I do not see any firmware update downloads here on the site, and so I am posting this item. Is there a firmware update to address this? If not, what are my next steps?

Re: G-Drive Q 1 TB Only Mounts Erratically, Freezes

Postby Dustin F » Aug 6th, '13, 14:28

Hi mac57,

Thanks for posting. There is no firmware update for the G-Drive Q. The G-Drive Q has been out of production for several years. If you purchased it from valid vendor a proof of purchase would allow us to warranty. You can contact me privately to further discuss options. Dustin.Frank@hgst.com
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php