G Drive 3TB un mounts for no reason.

User

G Drive 3TB un mounts for no reason.

Postby kimacowich » Nov 17th, '12, 13:21

My 3TB G Drive un mounts for no reason quite frequently. I own other G Technology Drives and this problem does not occur with them. I have it attached to my Macbook Air via FW800 which is attached to the Apple Thunderbolt Display, so the FW800 is attached to the display which is attached to my Macbook Air. My Macbook Air is Mid 2011, 1.8 GHz Intel Core i7 running software OS X 10.8.2. My drive is still under warranty. Is this problem fixable or does it need to be sent in for repair?

Re: G Drive 3TB un mounts for no reason.

Postby Gene G » Nov 19th, '12, 08:27

Hi,

Thanks for your post. Have you tried other cables or adapter? Have you tried it directly from the Air with the TB-FW adapter? Does the G-Drive exhibit the same behavior attached directly to a FW800 port on another computer? Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Postby kimacowich » Dec 14th, '12, 14:44

Can you daisy chain G-Drives with each other with Firewire 800? I am still in the process of trial and error with different attachment combinations to my Macbook Air via Thunderbolt Display. Do you know of any issues with attaching via the display usb's firewire 800 or Thunderbolt? I have G-Drive mini that are attached via USB that do not unmount themselves.

Postby Gene G » Dec 17th, '12, 15:20

You can daisy-chain G-Drives on FW 800, I'm not sure about daisy-chaining FW800 from the monitor, it should work fine for self-powered drives. I have not heard of any issues attatching via the display's ports. Does the G-DRIVE Mini exhibit the same issue when connected directly?

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
g-technology.com

User

Postby edumoraes » Feb 12th, '13, 05:04

Mine is unmounting also! Disk utility can't fix. I have some important data inside.

Postby Gene G » Feb 13th, '13, 08:50

It sounds like you may have directory damage that prevents Disk Utility from being able to fix the issue. Try running Disk Warrior or Tech Tool Pros rebuild function and see if they can repair the directory and allow the drive to mount.

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
g-technology.com

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php