2TB drive constantly working - even without being connected

User

2TB drive constantly working - even without being connected

Postby koveraasen » Feb 5th, '13, 13:20

I have a weird problem with my external 2TB drive on OSX 10.8. It basically does not stop "working" sounds like it's constatly reading or writing. I suspected it had something to do with spotlight indexing since
I just re-formated it (Mac OS Extended (Journal) with GUID Partition Table) and copied approx 1TB of data to it. However it seems like Spotlight has nothing to do with it, because the disk actually keeps on "working" even if it's not connected. If I just plug in the power it spins up and start doing whatever it is it's doing. If I connect it to the Mac either with USB or FW, it mounts just fine and I can access it, but even if it's idle it's still working like crazy.

Since this is happening even if it's not connected, I start to believe it's a problem with the controller or something. Anyone have any idea what it can be and what I can do about it? It was perfectly OK before the re-format.

Re: 2TB drive constantly working - even without being connec

Postby Gene G » Feb 5th, '13, 14:45

Hi,

Thanks for your post. Was there any unusual activity before you re-formatted the drive? Did you let it complete the journaling?

Regards,
Gene Gilbert
G-Technology Tech Support
g-technology.com

User

Re: 2TB drive constantly working - even without being connec

Postby koveraasen » Feb 7th, '13, 09:41

I left the drive working over night and now it seem to be acting as it should again. Probably the journaling then, even though it thought it had to actually be hooked up to the mac for that to be running.

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php