Drive not seen on Mac with Firewire hub

User

Drive not seen on Mac with Firewire hub

Postby ppappas » Jun 9th, '14, 17:04

I just purchased a refurbished G-DRIVE External Enclosure w/ eSATA, USB 2.0, Firewire 400, Firewire 800 Interfaces 0G01973, in which I added a 3TB Hitachi drive. But, my iMac does not see it when connected through my firewire 800 hub, but does see it when directly connected to the iMac's firewire port. Is this a know problem with this enclosure? My previous Otherworld Computing enclosre worked just fine through the hub, but only supported a max 2TB HDD, hence the purchase of this enclosure so I could use a 3TB HDD.

Re: Drive not seen on Mac with Firewire hub

Postby Dustin F » Jun 10th, '14, 07:26

Hi ppappas,

Thanks for posting. I have not heard of a hub having a capacity limit for external drives before but on occasion hubs can cause an issue. Some seem to work better than others. It could be a limitation or compatibility issue with the hub. As for placing your own drive in it, that drive normally should have already had a 3TB drive in it. We do not sell empty enclosures. All of our products come with drives installed. They do normally come with HGST (formally Hitachi) drives.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Re: Drive not seen on Mac with Firewire hub

Postby ppappas » Jun 10th, '14, 10:51

Thanks Dustin,
I purchased from an ebay seller who probably removed the drive to sell separately, which was what I wanted since I already had a new 3TB drive. When I connect the G-Drive directly to my iMac, its seen and mounts just fine and I was able to clone a backup with no problem. Its just that through my Firewire hub, which is a very good pro quality hub, it was not seen at all and would not mount. I guess I will just have to switch cables when I want to update my backup.
Thanks anyway,
Peter

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php