User

Drive not mounting Mac OSX

Postby Ross » Jun 4th, '14, 23:08

Mac OSX 10.9.3
G-Drive FW800 USB 3
Disk can be heard to spin up.
light blinks steadily.
Disk does not mount.
Disk utility sees 2 TB HGST and name of the disk greyed out.
Mount button does not work and suggests running first aid.
Repair disk runs and reports can’t repair - back up and reformat.
disk warrior only sees an Unknown drive and reports disk cannot be rebuilt due to disk hardware failure (-36,2257) web search revealed no info for this code.

tried different FW8 cable and USB2 cable - only USB 2 on my machine.

Pretty sure the drive is out of warranty.

Any Suggestions?

I have some data that is not backed up on this disk. Would I be able to open the case and try the drive in a different enclosure?

thanks

ross

Re: Drive not mounting Mac OSX

Postby Dustin F » Jun 5th, '14, 07:40

Hi Ross,

Thanks for posting. The blink is a slow constant one, or rapid and sporadic? The warranty on g-drives is 3 years, and if you have a drive that has usb 3 onboard it should be less than that. If you want to send me the s/n in a private message I can check the warranty status for you.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby Ross » Jun 5th, '14, 09:17

Hi Dustin,

The blink is slow and constant.

R

User

Postby btombaugh » Jun 23rd, '14, 19:46

I've had the same problem with a 5 month old 4TB USB3/FW800 G-Drive on a Intel Core2 Duo Mac Mini running Mavericks 10.9.3 with Server 3.1.2. I have another G-Drive, an older 2TB, daisy-chained on FireWire 800.

The drive continued to re-mount in Read-Only mode after being idle despite updating to the current firmware: 30.12.100.12.34. I still had to reboot the machine every few days to be able to get TimeMachine backups, otherwise they would fail to create the backup folder.

The last time I rebooted the machine, it came up with a message that the drive couldn't be mounted, and couldn't be repaired. I ran Disk Utility, and it reported numerous errors, and said the drive couldn't be repaired.

I was about to leave for a trip, so I replaced the G-Drive with a 4TB LaCie d2 Quadra that is working perfectly.

Now that I'm back from my trip, I've connected the 4TB G-Drive to my MacBook Pro to try to repair it, and it mounted without any issues, and Disk Utility can verify it with no problems found!

Postby Dustin F » Jun 24th, '14, 07:25

Hi btombaugh,

Sounds like you had the issue that the firmware should have resolved. In the small amount of cases where it didn't work we have found that most of the time resetting the smc and pram on the mac will resolve it. Here are links to how to perform those.

SMC Reset: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964
PRAM Reset: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php