Clicking

User

Clicking

Postby Mathiaslink » May 19th, '14, 19:44

I have a 2.5 year old G-Drive 2TB that up until now has been fine but I wonder if something is starting to happen. Tonight it started a clicking sound. But not always. At the moment it has stopped. Drive light was lit. I might be accessing that drive for backups but I (myself) am not accessing it. Running iMac with latest OS.

Do I have a drive about to fail?
Dennis Mathias

Re: Clicking

Postby Dustin F » May 20th, '14, 07:13

Hi Mathiaslink,

Thanks for posting. Usually a constant rhythmic clicking is a sign of a failing drive. However you say this is sporadic? Is the led flickering while this occurs or does it happen while the led is solid as well. Have there been any other odd behavior like slow performance or the drive ejecting itself either at random or while in use?
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby Mathiaslink » May 25th, '14, 12:28

Dustin, thanks for answering my post. I screwed up my login and got caught in Captcha *. I can't read those buggers! Finally I got an easy one and made it in.

Well, the clicking turned to failure as one might expect so I have a new G-Drive in it's place and I am s-l-o-w-l-y restoring from a cloud source (BackBlaze). But the clicking did not prevent the directory from coming up but then I noticed not everything would show up right away and then I started getting I think it was Error 31 on the iMac. So it's truly screwed. BTW, it has spun since I got the drive so that might not be too bad. The clicks were random. Sometimes very quiet and then it would get spastic.

I wonder if my drive is under warranty. S/N is F31EWYYD. 2TB 0G00203 whatever that means.
Now, if it's NOT under warranty, it begs the question: what do I do with it? These are beautiful cases and I suppose I could replace the drive inside. What drive will fit in there? Do you have replacements?

I'd give you my email but not sure where to enter that on the board here.
Dennis Mathias

Postby Dustin F » May 28th, '14, 08:29

Hi Mathiaslink,

Sorry to hear the drive ended up going out on you. However based on the s/n the warranty is valid through September 1st of this year. You can file a RMA for have it replaced here
http://prod.g-technology.com/support/warranty_rma.cfm
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php