Data and Files Disappear/Drive Reformatted

User

Data and Files Disappear/Drive Reformatted

Postby srvideomediadesign » May 8th, '14, 05:21

Greetings All;
I have a 2 TB G Drive that I've used for the last year or so with no issues (FCP editor). Two days ago, I finished a project and powered down for the night as usual. The following morning, I powered up my systems and when I turned on the G Drive it showed up as "My Book" and all files and folders we missing.

I connected to the other Mac's in my edit bay and it showed up the same way on all. I've never had this happen with a drive before. Any feedback would be appreciated. All the best

Syd Rodocker

Re: Data and Files Disappear/Drive Reformatted

Postby Dustin F » May 8th, '14, 07:42

Hi Syd,

Thanks for posting. We have seen this happen on computers that had western digital software on it where it thinks a third party drive is a Western Digital My Book and reformats it. I would suggest uninstalling any WD software installed on the computer immediately and running a data recovery software such as data rescue 3 to retrieve the files. You can try a free trial of the program to make sure it can see the files first and then the software will prompt you to purchase it. Normally the program runs $100 but we have a partnership with the maker that our customers can get it for a prorated price of $75. I will include links for the demo and prorate purchase below.

Demo: http://www.prosofteng.com/downloads/dow ... ?prodID=78
Prorate: http://www.thedatarescuecenter.com/gtec ... tware.html
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby srvideomediadesign » May 8th, '14, 09:35

Dustin;
Thanks for the response! I'm aware of the WD issue (and I am running Mavericks 10.9.2)...but I've never installed any Western Digital software on the computer to which this drive was connected. I've done a Spotlight search for "Western Digital" or "WD" with no results.

Also, I've been using this drive with the same computer for several weeks now without any issues. Any other thoughts? Thanks for your time!

Syd Rodocker
SRVideo Media Design

User

Postby srvideomediadesign » May 8th, '14, 14:03

Greetings Dustin;
After doing some searching (About This Mac>More Info>System Report>Startup Items), sure enough I found a WD startup item! I checked all of the other systems in my edit bay and found it on three of the four machines that I use on a daily basis (the MacBook Air) being the exception.

I've deleted that item from all systems. I don't ever recall installing any WD software on any of my machines. Hopefully this will solve the mystery. I already had a backup of the files on my G Drive, so I've reformatted it and all seems to be well so far.

Thanks for your response! I only hope that my experience benefits someone else! All the best...

Syd Rodocker
SRVideo Media Design

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php