2TB Drive not functioning post - Mavericks upgrade

User

2TB Drive not functioning post - Mavericks upgrade

Postby haiven » Mar 16th, '14, 20:07

Hello -

I have seen a few posts on this topic for these boards (and across the web), but have yet to find a solution to getting my 2TB G-drive to mount so that I can recover data. Here are the facts:

- The disk won't mount
- The disk shows in Disk Utility as "2 TB Ext Hard Disk Media" with the actual name of the disk greyed out below it.
- I have tried to Verify the root disk, it says that it is starting the Verification process and then completes the process bar, but there are no further info updates. It just stops.
- I have tried to Repair the root disk, and it does the same as the Verify issue above.
- I have attempted to use the demo version of Data Rescue 3 to scan the disk and it is taking so long that the drive appears to not scan at all.
- I have downloaded the G-Drive firmware update and installed it, but appears to have taken no effect.

I think that's about the extent of my situation for now. Any help you can provide will be super helpful. I am very concerned for the contents of this drive and would like to do everything I can to help save it.

Thank you,

Re: 2TB Drive not functioning post - Mavericks upgrade

Postby Dustin F » Mar 17th, '14, 07:34

Hi haiven,

Thanks for posting. For verify and repair you would want to select the grayed out drive name, not the physical listing about it. Data rescue 3 normally should be able to see the files though even if you haven't run a repair unless there is something wrong with the drive beyond a logical issue. Is the drive making any unusual noises; clicking, grinding, beeping, anything of that nature? Are you using only one connection or have you also tried on both firewire and usb?
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby haiven » Mar 17th, '14, 07:53

Thanks for the response, Dustin.

I have tried to repair the greyed out disk as well and get the following response:

"Disk Utility topped repairing "Time Machine" - Disk Utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files."

There does not appear to be excessive clicking or noises. Occasionally I have heard a single click, but if anything, it feels like even when processes like repair and verify are executed against the drive, the drive has very little activity at all.

I have tried both USB and Firewire to access/repair the drive.

For Data Rescue - Should I continue to try and utilize it even though it's taking 10 minutes just to "Quick Scan" 0.1% of the drive? At that rate, it would not be able to finish a "Quick Scan" for quite some time. Fwiw, I noticed that when Data Rescue is indexing the drive it shows not just the "Time Machine" partition on the drive, but also one with 0 bytes called ":dev:rdisk1s2".

Open to your suggestions.

Postby Dustin F » Mar 17th, '14, 08:05

haiven,

Was this a new Mavericks install or new computer that you were trying to import the data from or was there an upgrade to the system and all the your data is still on the computer? If the latter it would be simpler to format the drive and allow time machine to start over. Although if time machine data that could explain the issue with data rescue as it may not be able to penetrate the compressed file that time machine makes to scan it properly.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby haiven » Mar 18th, '14, 07:51

This was a Mavericks upgrade to the main computer associated with this drive. I would like to format the drive, but I need to get access to the files on it as the drives serves as not just the time machine backup but a repository for photos and media.

Do you have any more suggestions on how I can access the data in this drive given the current context? I can certainly go back to Data Rescue, but it seems as it if will take multiple days to "Quick Scan" the drive. Can that be right?

Postby Dustin F » Mar 18th, '14, 08:05

haiven,

Another program you can try would be r-studio which also has a free trial. I believe it may also have a function to repair the partition table. Disk Warrior can also repair but does not have a demo version.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php